Arizona

Hello my fellow Riggers and Riggettes!

I wanted to ask everyone how the job market for our industry is out in Arizona? I've been considering relocating out there, but I don't want to head out there and find myself completely jobless.

Any info you can toss my way would be greatly appriecated.

I moved out of Arizona four years ago (had been there for almost two decades), but still have plenty of contacts. Depending on your experience and what type of work you want to do, you may or may not have year-round employment. Most riggers are employed through IATSE local 336 or Rhino staging (there are others, but you won't get as much work). Outside of the Phoenix metro area, you will not have a lot of work. There is definitely some work in Flagstaff and Tucson, but many of those calls are also filled with crew out of Phoenix. Conventions are seasonal (not many people like to go to AZ in the summer). Concerts are the big industry during the summer since that's when the tours happen. Theater options range from dinner theater, regional theater, and road houses. I have some contacts in many of the different venues and labor providers. Your cost of living will be considerably less than in New York, but so will your pay. Last I remember, riggers would make around $20/hour as non-union and $25/hour union. But take that with a grain of salt since I haven't been in that market for a while and even when I was, I was working as a projectionist/video technician for the last few years I was there.

Have you trolled backstagejobs.com and artsearch for jobs there? In general, this industry does not work well with "I want to live there and do X." Sure, you can move to NYC, Chicago, or LA and slowly work your way into the market. However, the smaller markets are going to be a bit tougher.

Do you have any contacts in Arizona? If you do and they are working, go for it. If you don't know anyone, don't see any postings on either of the above job sites... might not be your best move ever unless you have at least one years living expenses sitting in the bank.

I don't have any contacts yet, but I wouldn't be making this move for another year. Right now I'm sending out feelers to get any idea if I should try to build some contacts and head out there. Thanks for the advice though. Good points.

In the Phoenix market, not many of the venues use either of the above sites. Most jobs are posted on their individual websites first or get filled by word of mouth. Many of the venues are government run and use labor from the union or one of the staging companies to fill many of the positions (including the house positions). There are definitely two distinct markets as well, regional and the venues that deal with touring productions. They don't often have technicians go between those markets as the skill set tends to be a bit different. I would recommend using the "phone book" to find the various venues in town and then start contacting them directly, find out which labor force they use and where they post jobs when they come available. That advice is good for anyone looking to relocate without a job in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back