Asbestos Fixture Cables

Clay320

I’ve come across a dozen or so fixtures that look to have asbestos power cables. What would be the best way to handle them? Do we need to call in the professionals with the hazmat suits, tarp the area off, etc or is it something that can be done in house with the proper method of attack?

The fixtures are stored in a second floor storage room. Mostly out of the way from any heavy traffic. They would have to be carried through public areas of the theater to be removed.

Any input on how to handle this as safe as possible is much appreciated!

Attachments

• B3AA9AE0-BFD1-490C-A9EF-FDC690F407F7.jpeg
    B3AA9AE0-BFD1-490C-A9EF-FDC690F407F7.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
A little asbestos never killed nobody. Put some gloves on put me in a bag and take the trash out.

Wear gloves. It’s itch is worst than than the death it potentially imposes.

I wouldn't personally be scared of doing it myself, but if you have somebody employed to handle EH&S then pass it off to them. Guessing not.

Recommended procedure for disposal is to saturate by spraying lightly in several passes with water amended with a surfactant (a purpose-designed one, or some detergent for the DIY version) while containing any runoff (which now may also contain fibers) and then seal in a 6 mil plastic bag. Then find an asbestos landfill. Legality of DIY is questionable, if unlikely to come up.

You could buy some fiberglas sleeving like comes on new fixtures, take the plug off and slip it on under the fixture cord clamp.

Please don't do this. Either abate properly or dispose of the whole fixture. Concealing with a new sleeve on top just makes people more likely to work with the fixture and release fibers (and removing the connector and pushing a sleeve over the old one is going to do that too). Probably the fixtures aren't needed or aren't functional anyway if they've made it this long in storage, not that that should factor in anyway. Get rid of them.

Very helpful replies! The first post in the linked thread is basically my situation. I have enough inventory to get the show hung without disrupting the asbestos fixtures in the back room. I’ll bring it up to the house powers that be, and explain the need to do something about it. Being this is not my venue I’ll leave the decision on how to proceed to the house, I don’t think it’s my responsibility as a visiting LD to take on any disposal efforts myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back