Audio interface purchase suggestion

Looking to pick up an Audio Interface for my Theatre so we can run Qlab from the Mac Pro set up in the booth.The hope is to be able to send signal to send multiple channels on the board which will send to various speakers (some practicals and the house mains). So far I have been looking at the overwhelming variety of interfaces there are available . I have narrowed it down somewhat. What I am looking for is an interface with preferable 8-10 balanced 1/4" or xlr out. The minimum out would be 4 balanced outs. I would like and equal amounts of ins as there are outs. Obviously I would like an interface that is reliable with Qlab. I have been looking at the M-Audio Profire 2626. I have also been suggested by one of my peers about the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I hear that Saffire Pro 26 have power cycling issue, wondering if anyone who actually owns the Pro 40 has had these problems. Another product that has come up during my search is the Presonus Firestudio Project. Also on my list of interests is the Mbox Pro + Protools because my Tech Director has been interested in getting Protools for some.time. If anyone has any personal info on these products or can suggest another product it would be helpful.

Thank you,
Travis

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my 2626 never had any issues with it. That being said m audio was just sold so no idea what the new plans for the company are. Honestly it's one of the best interfaces for the money.

I third the Profire 2626, one of my friends has one and he's used it with Qlab and as an input expander for his 01V.

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro40, in my rack. I mostly use it as an interface for recording. I've had it for about a year and half i think and it works great. I used it with a PC work station and it took some fiddling to select the correct legacy drivers for Fire-wire as windows loaded the incorrect ones by default (but it was cake and took 5 mins to fix) Did n't have any issues with it when connected out of the box to our MacBpro. I've been very happy with the Pro40 so far and have no complaints. You get a touch more for more money with the Motu equivalent but for the price the Pro40 is a solid, easy to use, and feature rich.

*Update* Narrowed it down to between the Profire2020 and the Saffire Pro40. I gave the specs to our Technical Director and a list of pros and cons between each and the company bought the Saffire Pro 40. We are now finished with our production and the Saffire ran great for our needs and it had no problems with Qlab at all (so far). Thank you to everyone for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back