Audio out from iPhone/iPod Question

I like these for this type of situation. Works great for a single multimedia presenter. 1/8th inch inputs, rca for audio plus a mic input. The volume pot only affects the line in.
podmixb.jpg

You're saying because it has volume control there's no need for someone to be present to operate the sound system? That's kind of scary... Besides, don't computers and a lot of software have volume controls? To each his own; if it works for you then great. I just would rather have something that can be used for multiple sources rather than a single purpose device. To say it "frees up a DI" to have one around doesn't make sense. Buy another DI instead and you don't need to free up a DI, you'll have enough to make it work. And when you need just one more DI for an acoustic show or technologically advanced bluegrass group then you'll have it. You're not going to stick that 1/8" thing with a volume control on an acoustic guitar, are you?

Again, just my opinion.

This may be the same thing Bishop was talking about above. I'm a big fan of the Radial JPC. You get 1/4" TRS, 1/8"TRS, RCA Inputs, and RCA through puts, all leading to balanced XLR outputs. It's a sweet little box that handles just about anything you throw at it for $200. Plus it does an outstanding job of eliminating ground loops.

jpc-34-dds-280w.jpg

I'm going to throw my 2 cents here, even though the above comments are correct in how to connect the ipod to the mixer.

Invest in a D'san LSP-1 ( i.e. laptop sound port ), it will provide you with a ground lift and balances the ipod signal into one mono XLR output. It's somewhat steep at $80 but I've been using one for years now and it's never let me down.

proxy.php

Don't spend $80 when you can spend $50 for the same thing from
Rapco They also make one the costs a little less without the ground lift as well.
I keep one of these in the bag of tricks and get's used often.
I also use the Whirlwind PCDI. It has the 1/8" TRS and RCA inputs, With Pad, GND Lift, Stereo/Mono Switch. It's another great product that I use often. You can pick one up for $100 or so. I also have the Radial JPC. Another Great Product. I just don't like there price.

You're saying because it has volume control there's no need for someone to be present to operate the sound system? That's kind of scary... Besides, don't computers and a lot of software have volume controls? To each his own; if it works for you then great. I just would rather have something that can be used for multiple sources rather than a single purpose device. To say it "frees up a DI" to have one around doesn't make sense. Buy another DI instead and you don't need to free up a DI, you'll have enough to make it work. And when you need just one more DI for an acoustic show or technologically advanced bluegrass group then you'll have it. You're not going to stick that 1/8" thing with a volume control on an acoustic guitar, are you?

Again, just my opinion.
I would rather have several DIs to carry around but they don't carry in my kit well. My kit is filled with what I buy myself. I would like to carry a DI with multiple imputs but I am not spending $200.00 for something that I would only need occasionally.

This has likely been covered in this surprisingly long thread, but:

1/8" TRS to two 1/4" TS cable will work for most any computer or iDevice.

If the mixer has only XLR inputs, a 1/8" TRS to two XLR-M will work, BUT make SURE that phantom power is turned off on those channels. If phantom cannot be turned off, then use DIs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back