aurora borealis effect

im sure this has been posted numerous times, but i am the LD on Almost, Maine and I need a way to create the aurora borealis effect. I was thinking about using 4 SS 575s with the lentic and lava gobos in them in the wings and shooting onto the stardrop we are renting. Good idea, bad idea? Suggestions?

If you had enough channels/dimmers, I might get a few more fixtures and gobos, and program an effect that slowly fades in and out to look like the colors are "shimmering".

Or, I've got an old light from a community college in my area that can do some cool aurora borealis effects. I'll have to try and shoot a video. If you want, you may be able to borrow it!

First of all, "Almost, Maine" is a cute little show. Using a group of lights and setting up an effect in the cosole to fade/pulse them is a great start. If you have e budget you might look into some glass gobos and some rotators. You also might consider hanging some fabric that takes light well (a neutral grey or something) and focusing you lights at that. As I don't know your venue, this may or may not be an option. Te last time I saw the show it was in a black box space with a pipe grid so they hung fabric around the grid and had various lights focused at it. Worked pretty well.

It's been a while since I worked with a SS575, but a good effect that might give you the desired result is using the Petri Dish & Lava gobos, focused to the Petri Dish, with both gobos rotating. Throw in one of the lighter blue or green filters and you're set(though the green might cause part of the Lava gobo to turn yellow? I don't recall exactly...)

yeah we just used 4 studio spot 575s for west side story, and i got to play around with them and test the settings and whatnot. Me and the TD talked about getting a stardrop and then hanging the studio spots on pipe end units and pointing them across stage with the lava and rotation settings. It think it could work pretty well, just have to see exactly what it would look like.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming

yeah we just used 4 studio spot 575s for west side story, and i got to play around with them and test the settings and whatnot. Me and the TD talked about getting a stardrop and then hanging the studio spots on pipe end units and pointing them across stage with the lava and rotation settings. It think it could work pretty well, just have to see exactly what it would look like.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming
I suggest you put them on the floor and not on pipes. Aurora Borealis is most intense at the horizon and dissipates as it goes up.

-Tim

Bradley I think you're on the right track. Head xander's suggestion as its a good one. Also I'd set them up first and try it out to see what you and the director think. If you don't have access to the star drrop do it against the cyc just to get a feel of what its going to look like.

If these are 575 cmy's you might put a slight cmy chase on them as well.

On the zero budget end of the equation:

I'm just finishing a run of Almost, Maine tomorrow, we hung a grey scrim and programed a chase with our strip lights focused roughly on the scrim. It's certainly not breathtaking, but it did the job and we got plenty of audience oohs and ahs when they first appeared.

We recently finished doing Almost, Maine here in Point and the LD used mylar sheeting with two fixtures pointed at it. There were four of these set up on the corners of the theatre. We did it in the round in our black box. The lights had different colors to try and get close to the colors of the aurora, and when the aurora was supposed to go off, the fans behind the mylar started and then the next cue fired the lights. It was pretty cool. The only drawback was the sound of the mylar crinkling when it moved. We also hung about 500 yards of China silk in the space too, to have something to reflect off. It was kind of crazy. Here is the LD's site: NateFreberg - Theatrical Lighting Designer - General Nice Guy - Lighting Design - almost maine (10 of 10).jpg if you want to take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back