Awful Academy Awards Audio

jstroming

Can we get somebody new to do the audio for the Academy Awards please?!? I mean it is absolutely awful. From the digital noise that sounds like a phone ringing every time they cut to a live mic to not being able to hear the voices of anyone because the background noise is so loud....who cares if you have $100mil worth of equipment if it sounds like crap?!? Get a wired 58 and call it a night!!!

I was waiting for someone to start a thread about this. It's terrible!

Is there a definitive answer to what the "beeping" noises are? It sounds like some digital audio processor or something. It's only on the mics. I was watching the SD broadcast upstairs and it was bad, but just went downstairs to watch the Cirque performance in HD and heard it even WORSE on the HD broadcast.

I live right across the street from ABC headquarters here in NYC so I'm going to go over there and raise hell! HAHA.

On a video note, did anyone notice they center-cut the video for the SD broadcast of the red carpet show? I have a 4:3 TV upstairs and all the graphics were cut off! Guess they don't care about us with 4:3 TV's....why wouldnt they at least letterbox for the SD broadcast? Weird....

it sounds like there trying to sort it out, did anyone notice when the retractable mic got stuck in the thrust? someone was fast and on the ball with the replacement.

it sounds like there trying to sort it out, did anyone notice when the retractable mic got stuck in the thrust? someone was fast and on the ball with the replacement.

I wasn't hearing any problems, and talking to my FB friends, it seems that the problem is in the stereo conversion. I've been watching in 5.1 all the time and never heard any of the artifacts until I switched my decoder to stereo....

John

I did!!

They seemed to have the replacement out a couple of times.....

And then it returned and stayed out. Maybe the switched it...

For the general population I agree with you. Sound guys notice good sound. I never noticed the digital noise, wasn't paying that much attention. My wife did, though. I did, however, notice the constant 3.1k-ish feedback. To be fair, that tiny little bit of feedback can be hard to hear in the room because of many factors. But the broadcast guys would have had no problem picking it out and should have gotten word to monitor land. I would assume they were all connected on com, but even pony express would have eventually worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back