background scenery construction

csilvia9

Hi, I am working on Alice in Wonderland. I need to make two sections of scenery on wheels.
The materials I have to work with are 4x8 sheets of luan plywood, and some strapping and 2x4s. I want to use both sides painted with differnt scenes. The finished sizes need to be 10' high by 8' in width. I am not sure how to put this together. My plan was to use the straping and screw the sheets of luan to it to hold them together. This will be fine for one side but then the back will be showing all the strapping bracing it together. I would really like to get double duty with these set pieces since my space is limited. And to let you know one side will be a scene of the Wonderland woods, and the back or other side will be Grassy hills and the Queens castle in the background. Any advice or a sketch or two on how I can assemble this would be great.
Thank you

Um, not sure what you mean by "strapping." Lots of people have different names for things.

Normal method would be to build a frame of the 2x4--using the 2x4s on edge (like a studwall in your house) screw together the outer frame that's 8x10. Add internal members that will run along the seams between the sheets of lauan, and a few more internals for support. Cover both sides with the lauan. Then you'll need to make some triangular jack braces on the sides of the flat sticking out front and back to make it stand up. You can put casters of the bottom of these.

Sorry I don't have time to throw a sketch together right now.

In this case, strapping likely refers to low-grade 1x3, not really suitable for flat construction, but might be okay for bracing, or to build the jack s from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back