Basic Stage Lighting Question - Fog

rjain15

Hi,

We are doing stage performance - which has got some dance sequences. We are planning to use Fog to create special affects and we would like to get the complete stage lighted but use colored lights (like blue).

Where should be place the lights to give a nice soft look. Should it be from the top or floor?

What kind of lights do you have to use? The stage is around 40 feet wide and 20 feet deep.

This is the first time we are doing this, so appreciate any info on how to do this.

Thanks,
Raj

Hi,

We are doing stage performance - which has got some dance sequences. We are planning to use Fog to create special affects and we would like to get the complete stage lighted but use colored lights (like blue).

Where should be place the lights to give a nice soft look. Should it be from the top or floor?

What kind of lights do you have to use? The stage is around 40 feet wide and 20 feet deep.

This is the first time we are doing this, so appreciate any info on how to do this.

Thanks,
Raj

Hi Raj,

I worked very closely with our LD on a recent dance show we did and he made it look amazing!
We used a stage hazer with floor cans lighting the haze which looked really nice. We just used standard fresnel floor cans, however the use of LEDs might look pretty cool if you have some.
Blues and Greens work quite well.

To get a nice soft look, if using conventional lanterns, you could consider setting the focus slightly out.

I wouldn't light the whole show from the floor though, include some top lighting too!

All the best!

I would tend to light that from the sides or top. Not just because it's dance (although that's a pretty good reason--you want to emphasize form) but if the fog is all over the place (and it will be) your front lights will have to punch through all of it to reach your dancers. The fog might end up brighter than your dancers. If you use the tips of your lighting pipes shooting across the stage you should be able to get pretty good coverage. You would obviously want additional front systems to light faces better during the non-dancing sections...

To expand on what techietim said:

Fog is dense clouds that slowly fade away. I think you want "Haze" which never gets very thick but goes everywhere and sticks around for a while. Foggers and Hazers are different machines and take a different fluids. There are also variations on each so look over your equipment options.

Cold fog sits on the floor and gives that walking-on-clouds look.

I would like to add a question in regards to fog...

My theatre company recently had to move to a different venue than usual this summer due to unforeseen circumstances, and we wanted to use fog in one of the scenes for our show. It was an idea that we got at the last minute and we thought it would make a nice effect for one of the scenes. Well, we filled the stage with fog during a rehearsal...and then the fire alarm went off. Unfortunately, we had to 86 the fog after this happened, but, what kind of fog do we need to use that is "fire alarm friendly" in the future?

I would like to add a question in regards to fog...

My theatre company recently had to move to a different venue than usual this summer due to unforeseen circumstances, and we wanted to use fog in one of the scenes for our show. It was an idea that we got at the last minute and we thought it would make a nice effect for one of the scenes. Well, we filled the stage with fog during a rehearsal...and then the fire alarm went off. Unfortunately, we had to 86 the fog after this happened, but, what kind of fog do we need to use that is "fire alarm friendly" in the future?

Check out this thread and this thread. You're not the first to have that problem!

To the OP, what type of fog are you considering? Chemical or Dry ice?

Most modern fire detection systems use particle readers and when the PPM reaches a certain level, the alarm is triggered. Therefore, there are no chemical fog systems that are "fire alarm friendly." To employ chemical fog you'll need to arrange for a "Fire Watch" with your local fire department.

Haze is preferred, your goal is to add color and air graphics for mood or texture. Top - back (over stage), side lights (behind the side legs curtain knee high or on the floor) will all help reveal form, and a touch of front light to light faces. If it is children you may want lots of front light so Mom can see her sweet darling well. Yeah it takes away from the artistic side, but better that than angry parents.

Colors - Think compliments (opposite sides of color wheel) like red and green, orange and blue, purple and gold. Triadic - a triangle on the color wheel. Make one dominant the other two accents. obvious the song and costumes will affect your choices. It is not a rock concert, your there to support the dance/story. The audience should feel you, but not notice you.

Whenever we use smoke or haze we have to go with a "fire watch". That means that the building sensors are still active, the alarm is silent and off line. A trained person has to sit and watch the fire panel constantly. If a duct sensor lights up maintenance is radioed and they check it out. If it is a pull station then they call 911 and sound the alarm with the assumption it is a real fire if someone pulled the station.

Oddly, our theater does not kick sensors, the HVAC units recirculate the air blowing our haze out the roof and it gets drawn into other "fresh air" intakes in another part of the building tripping the alarm. I have had it trip in 30 seconds or 3 hours depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back