Behringer Eurodesk SL2442fx-pro soundboard

AlexD

Easy one this. Is this a good board? whats your [FONT=&quot]opinion [/FONT] on it? this is the board that my school has at the moment and i would like to know if its anygood

Last edited:
There is no such thing as easy when you are asking for opinion on a product...

Take general opinions on Behringer expressed previously...

Yes but opinions on Behringer have been some are terbal but they do have some good stuff so i wanted to know if i had something good.

Yes, Behringer does make some good value products, for example the ADA8000 is fairly well thought of. However, I don't think that their mixing consoles are generally looked at as being that good beyond giving a lot (quantity, not quality) for the money.

To me things like short (and not that high quality) 60mm faders, only two aux sends, four groups but only in stereo pairs, three band EQ with fixed high and low pass and a single band pass that lets you adjust only frequency and level (not bandwidth) and unbalanced aux, group and control room outputs limit the SL2242FX-PRO in professional installed, live sound applications.

No. It is probably not good.

If it is good now, it will probably not be good sometime in the future, when it breaks.

I have a Behringer Eurorack that likes to not actually take a channel out of the mains when the fader is at negative infinity.

In the world of cheap, look at Peavy and Yamaha. At least they design their own circuits.

This specific board has had issues with the mute buttons not fully muting channels, bleed all over the place, and not enough headroom in some cases (at least that's my experience with this board specifically).

Soundcraft is great, as is Allen & Heath.

The Allen & Heath ZED series are a great bunch of mixers for the money. The ZED 24, ZED 420, or ZED 428 would probably be the ones to look at there.

ive never used soundcraft...but i can recoment yamaha, mackie, and rollands. It all depends on what you need. Yamaha's MS32\14 is an excellant basic board and the LS9 series are among the best of the digital boards on the market(along with their M7CL and PM5D). Mackie has some easy to use cheap basic boards as well. Rolland...well Ive only used their top line digital mixer the V400...thats essentially and LS9 with a digital snake built in.

So like i said it all depends on what you need, if you dont need to go fancy Id say get a yamaha, SamAsh has their normal large analog mixers at around 800-1000 bucks.

Oh Allen & Heath is good as well as soundlight posted, I almost ordered one of their boards before I got the V400. Midas is always good too, but extremely expensive, the Venice is an excellent mixer though.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Soundcraft, or at least their pro-level large format FOH/monitor consoles. I mixed on a Live 8 for years and loved it.

I wouldn't touch Behringer with a ten-foot pole.

What Soundcraft?

My theater has an MH3. It's one of the best analog boards out there.

Of course, cheaper boards are cheaper. We have a GB2R to use as a video submixer and, while of lesser quality, is still a good board.

What is your budget? If it's not too low, look at the Allen & Heath Mixwizard. If you have a lot sitting around, check out the APB ProRack.

(Edit- oops! I should really think before I write...)

Last edited:
I was looking at the [FONT=&quot]soundcraft LX7 ii 16 change soundboard. And my budget though not defined i am going to be sensible and keep it to resnable standerd so i can spend up to 800 quid on a desk.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
It is a dedicated monitor mixer.

If you look at the pictures, you'll notice it has no faders and 8 monitor sends. It also has a built-in splitter.

The idea is, you plug your mics into the ProRack Monitor, take the split output and plug that into the ProRack House.

Now you have 8 mixes and independent control over what happens in the monitors, as well as independent control over the sound in the house.

I was looking at the [FONT=&quot]soundcraft LX7 ii 16 change soundboard. And my budget though not defined i am going to be sensible and keep it to resnable standerd so i can spend up to 800 quid on a desk.
[/FONT]

I found an LX7-32 (original series) for our theater, and it sounds great. The Soundcraft provided noticably "cleaner" sound than the Mackie CFX-20 that it replaced.

The only drawback I've found with the LX7 for live performance is lack of LED meters on each channel. If you can find a used Allen & Heath GL2200 or GL2400 for a similar price (they're usually more expensive though) I would suggest getting that instead. But either one will gain you lots of respect in the theater community.

Behringer is ridiculously less expensive than pretty much anyone else -- makes you wonder how they actually make any money on those things ... so unless you just flat-out don't have the money to spend but need the channels and can't find a used Mackie board for the price, I would try for a better board.

Behringer is ridiculously less expensive than pretty much anyone else -- makes you wonder how they actually make any money on those things ...
A few simple things:

Use a resistor that's a penny cheaper here, an IC a few cents cheaper there and pretty soon the difference can start to add up, in both the good and bad sense.

Make the product cheap enough that replacement rather than repair makes sense, then you don't have to support a large service operation.

Sell to everyone you can, use quantity to your advantage whenever possible.

Use low cost manufacturing. At least in my recollection, Behringer was one of the earliest adopters in the industry of the "design here, build there" approach that moved the manufacturing to someplace with significantly lower material and labor costs.

Avoid expensive and time consuming R&D and market research efforts by largely copying, either literally or in concept, successful products from other manufacturers.

I'm sure there are others, but these all add up.

Yes, I am asking this to see if it is worth getting a bigger (quality) mixer than a smaller one for just mic’s and effects and leave the bad mixer for the pit band. I am going to go for the bigger mixer so I can put small pit bands through it (will have to use bad mixer for big pit bands my school though small musically have 2 tympanis, marimba large drum kit and tunes more percussion instruments… takes up half the pit band just that)

I have one. I use it for a few live events per year and every friday and saturday night.
I agree it is short on features and certainly not the finest quality. However you are not paying a high price for a mixer that will get the job done. (Assuming the job is not very demanding) I do recognize the shortcomings mentioned by MUSEAV and they are very real. All I can say is I do plan to upgrade when funds will allow but the SXL2442FX has allowed me to get loud with ease and with my simple system mix all I need.
You usually get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back