Control/Dimming Behringer LD6230 - Boat anchor?

Currently outfitting small community theatre company with some new dimmers on very tight budget. I've not been able to find many reviews on the Behringer LD6230. Can anyone provide their personal experience with these units? I know they are hard-wire and very much of the rack install flavor. Please respond with your comments! What does a sub $300 dimmer get you? Can you make recommendations on other inexpensive alternatives? Leads on used dimmers welcome as well! HELP! ;)

...What does a sub $300 dimmer get you?...
Heartache, frustration, and sleepless nights.:) BEHRINGER: LD6230. I see nothing in the documentation about Listing. In many jurisdictions, that alone would disqualify the product from consideration.

...Can you make recommendations on other inexpensive alternatives? ...
Are you seeking an installation or portable, product? ETC SmartPack line, as well as the offerings of Leviton/NSI, EDI, and Leprecon, come immediately to mind.

...Leads on used dimmers welcome as well! HELP! ;)
See the collaborative article Sources for Used Equipment.

At approx. 20.3 lbs. (9.2 kg), the LD6230 is not suitable as a boat anchor, unless a very small boat. Might make an acceptable doorstop, however.:rolleyes:

I own two of these dimmers and have used them for over three years. I have them installed in a road case so I can move them around. They are configured as three phase but can be wired for single phase operation. I have mine wired so that one dimmer runs off the "red" side of a stove plug and the second runs of the "black" side of the stove plug. I have a Soca socket on the back panel of each unit. I have a breaker panel and switch installed in the road case to meet the Ontario code - here in Ontario a field approval is also required. This arrangement limits the total load but works for what I want.

The dimmers themselves have proven to be simple enogh to use - the manual is clear and straightforward. the dimmers can be used on DMX or analogue. They use the correct 5 pin XLR for the DMX. You can select dimming curve which is a plus at this price range and you can also adjust output level without using a board. The build quality is good using the same electronic components you will find in more expensive units, the steel case is solidly built.

I have used them for a mix of applications with 1kW PAR 64s for concerts and fresnels/S4s for other work and I have not had any breakers trip accidently and the response time for the light chase applications is faster than the lamp response.

For wiring there is an access panel on the lid but it is too small it is better to just unscrew and remove the complete lid to get easy access.

In operation the fan is quiet and I have not noticed any noise being transferred to the sond system despite the local noise boy insisting on gaffer taping his microphone cables (string would be a more accurate dscription they are such poor quality) to my Soca cables.

I expect to buy more in the future. I have found them capable units despite the low cost.

HA! Thx derekleffew! No UL listing....I looked it up...I don't see a thing. Good catch. Glad I asked. Yes...small boat indeed. :lol:

Looking mainly for 'modular' low cost dimming...which to me equals used and leans toward the 'portable' rack flavor. Will check out some fo the sources in used forum...new to this board so sorry for redundancy.

Yes, useful only as doorstop. To be a boatanchor it would have to be heavy and old, something like old Genesis or pre-AE CD80.

Alternatives -- well, there are CD80 Packs with something like 12x1.2K in a portable package. That and ETC's Smart series of dimmers would be the obvious winners to me. There are also the cheap NSI shoebox dimmers that we all love and hate at the same time.

Alternatives at the $300 price point new .. well, there are none. NSI is the closest I know of. If, however, used equipment is an option, you can sometimes find good deals on real boatanchors or even only 20-year-old gear from places who have upgraded and need the floor or shelf space.

church...thx for info...concerned about UL listing...do you have anything in your documentation that shows any kind of UL listing or similar? For my needs these will essentially live in a rack backstage and not go anywhere...but again concerned about UL listing.

Here is the problem with non-UL listed equipment:
Even if it works for a while, at some point if it does have a fault and causes damage to the building or starts a fire, your insurance company will probably use the lack of a UL listing against you.

Also, most EC's won't install unlisted equipment.

The Behringer units are a NSI knock off. They are cheap and can do the Job. BUT I would say if you HAVE to go this route do what Church has done, mount these in a portable rack and use a PLUG to connect them. I would not wire them in permanently. There are a few companies that have made these into portable racks.

If you wanted to use Portable packs NSI DDS6000 with DMX would be an option, and you could place them near the lights you need to control. The Rack NSI D12 would be another option or any of the Rack DDS family. The 6 channel units can easily work on 3 phase the 8 channel units seem to only be setup for single phase

Long term you best investment would still be to go with ETC, but you are going to have to pay more

Then again the old saying "The quality endures long after the Price is forgotten" does apply ;-)

I have to say that Behringer buying Midas and KT certainly MIGHT make a difference in the future

Sharyn

Last edited:
I had been usually using Lightronics rack mount dimmers which have been going back and forth and have been holding up just fine. I did have an issue when a moron electrician hooked the feed up improperly and caused damage to the low voltage transformer but they got me the parts right away. They are UL approved and I have had no issues and they are very well built. I have opened a lot of rack mounted units from different brands and they are all pretty similar except for the CD80 which has a great modular design. Yes, I agree ETC is good but they are not the only good dimmer manufacture out there. It seems on this board that ETC is only brand people point to when it comes to dimmers. Problem with ETC is they are made for touring and permanent installs and unless you have deep pockets you can't afford or use much of their dimmer line for smaller portable shows. Not bashing anyone here but please keep options open as there are more options then just ETC.

I think Lightronics suffers from being perceived as a NSI "cousin" . The other thing is that if Lightronics wants to expand their market penetration then having someone spend some time on forums like this can make a big difference.

Sharyn

I don't have a problem with Lightronics. I have used both shoebox and rack mountables and they certainly get the job done. I work with one company doing one offs concerts and coperate stuff and we use Leprecon for the main dimmers and add the Lightronics for overflow dimmers. I also do some small outside concerts that they are the main dimmers.
ETC gets recommended requently because most guys are theatre guys not concert guys and ETC is the best dimmer/board for permanent installs.

Well I called Berhinger USA (+1 425-627-0816) just out of curiosity and asked if the LD6230 was UL listed. Here is the conversation.

Me: Hi yes I'm wondering if the LD6230 is UL listed.

Support: UL listed? What do you mean?

Me: You know U-L as in Underwriter Laboratories.

Support: ok I get you. Let me put you on hold while I check....

< Low quality music comes on pulled from an radio station, you would think a company specializing in sound gear would want the highest fidelity hold music possible>

Support: Ok sorry to put you on hold. Well, it is UL listed if you buy it from an authorized US dealer.

Me: Could you elaborate. What if you buy it from an un-authorized dealer.:twisted:

Support: I really don't know.

Me: Alright, Thanks, Bye.​

I'll bite, how the heck does who you buy it from affect the UL listing? Either it's listed or not. I know I'm talking to the choir but dang!

Mstaylor, that is exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps it could be more of an import thing.
Here is what I am thinking:
If The US version is different from the European version and they only sell each in their respected markets would it make sense to have the European version UL listed if it is already CE listed and vice versa. So if someone imported a European version to the US it would not be UL.​
No Idea if this is correct.

Keep in mind that UL isn't the only NRTL to test to UL standards...

However, checking both UL and Intertek showed quite a few Behringer devices, but not any dimmers. If customer support tells you that it was tested, they should be able to tell you who did the testing. Of course, given their response, I'd expect it's not tested.

It's interesting that they don't even mention CE in their documentation... since that's self-ceritfied.

-Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back