Control/Dimming Best DMX Control Software (free)

DJHiggumz

Hello my name is Steven and I'm new to the forums, I'm not in productions, I'm a DJ. but anyways I thought i ought to register here due to the greater knowledge and traffic compared to djforums.

anyhoo, I bought a dmx king dmx micro dongle for $50, and from what I am told, it is the equivalent of the enttec pro. I have 4 martin roboscan 812s and 2 CX-2s, and I want to control them with dmx. I did download and try freestyler but it was just so many headaches, and the sound 2 light didn't work no matter what I tried. I want to find another freeware program to use in place of it. which is the best for intelligent lighting that you can make the scenes chase to the beat? I hear good things about magicQ, good or bad?

OR

the problem with the sound 2 light is I would set it up with the right card, and no level would show on the vu bars, and of course the lights didn't react to sound. I tried going into the computer with mic and line and of course in-computer songs. I can manual trigger them, so it is routed correctly.

I don't know which software programs work with that dongle, but not all will. Check with the box manufacturer. I can't recommend any program that works. I haven't really kept up with dmx software.

The Roboscan 812 is configured a little differently than most dmx lights. Pin 2 and 3 are swapped so when you connect it to a typical data chain it won't work. You either need to take the dmx ports out and re-solder BOTH input and output pin 2 and 3, or make a cable where you do that on ONE end. The problem with a cable is it can get lost, and remember to switch BACK with another cable if you connect any "normal" dmx lights up.

yes I knew that. the lights work in the chases in real-time, just the software in itself won't operate in sound active

Were the forums at Freestyler any help? Freestyler website That would be my first stop, see if anyone there has similar gear.
There is a fairly comprehensive list of software at the Enttec website, you might just download several to try out.
ENTTEC - DMX USB PRO
MagicQ is very popular, but it too has a fairly steep learning curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back