Best Headset Mic for Avoiding Feedback

Bubby4j

I'm in need of getting a new headset mic (and wireless transmitter/receiver) for use in the gym auditorium at our church.

I'm fairly worried about feedback as the acoustics of the room aren't very good and the person using the mic likes to walk around the room, so he will basically be in front of the speakers (they're mounted to the ceiling, so he won't be RIGHT in front of them, but he will be out walking where the audience sits).

I was thinking about the Countryman ISOMAX Cardoid Headset. I'm hoping to buy a used Sennheiser EM 100 G2 and SK 100 G2 as the receiver/transmitter for it. We use the Sennheiser EW100 series in another building at our church and have had no issues with it.

Does this sound like a wise choice? Any other microphone suggestions?

IMHO Cardioid alters the sound (more shrill), so for theater performances with vocal singing, I would suggest sticking to an omni mic element to get flatter frequency response. But if it's just a lecture and you're more worried about feedback than anything else, cardioid is the way to go.

Aanything that puts the mic closer to the mouth is going to be better for feedback issues. So a thin wire boom mic headset would be a good choice.

Countryman gives you a good bang for the buck as far as professional mics go. But if budget is an issue, there are also some aftermarket boom mics in the $100 range that may be worth a look.

IMHO Cardioid alters the sound (more shrill), so for theater performances with vocal singing, I would suggest sticking to an omni mic element to get flatter frequency response. But if it's just a lecture and you're more worried about feedback than anything else, cardioid is the way to go.

Aanything that puts the mic closer to the mouth is going to be better for feedback issues. So a thin wire boom mic headset would be a good choice.

Countryman gives you a good bang for the buck as far as professional mics go. But if budget is an issue, there are also some aftermarket boom mics in the $100 range that may be worth a look.
All good points. It won't be used for singing, it's just for speaking. I'd rather have greater gain-before-feedback rather than better sound in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back