Best wireless mic for under $500?

alyx92

Hey there,

My boss has asked me to research what would be the best wireless mic to purchase for under $500. It's for a musical theater setting. Im mostly a lighting guy, so sound isn't my forte, so I've turned my recommendation to you all. What do you think would be the best bang for my buck?

-alyx92

Hey there,

My boss has asked me to research what would be the best wireless mic to purchase for under $500. It's for a musical theater setting. Im mostly a lighting guy, so sound isn't my forte, so I've turned my recommendation to you all. What do you think would be the best bang for my buck?

-alyx92

Are you talking a handheld microphone or a lavaliere? I'm going to assume lavaliere since it's for a musical theatre setting. Also, what brand do you currently use? Shure, Electro Voice (EV), Sennheiser, etc? Personally, I really like EV. They tend to be cheaper in price than Shure or Sennheiser, but last just as long and usually have more features when compared to a Shure or Sennheiser of the same price range.

Yea we need/uses lavaliere. As for brands, we have 4 Shures, 2 Audio-Technicas, and 2 Sennheisers.

Yea we need/uses lavaliere. As for brands, we have 4 Shures, 2 Audio-Technicas, and 2 Sennheisers.

Do you have a preference on which brand you would like to go/stay with? I ask only because each company wires their TA4f connectors differently so they are not (always) cross-compatible.

For cheap and reliable, the Audio Technicas are probably the best (from what I have used personally). I would suggest with sticking with brands you currently have, just for spare availability, and it makes things simpler for you. ( all the same transmitter, mic connections, batteries). Shure, Sennheiser, and Audio Technica (IIRC) all use different connections don't they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spec sheet says these are only available in 700 MHz bandsplits...

Good catch. I wasn't looking that close since I'm not the one buying the mic. At least I mentioned not to buy in the 700 MHz range. I thought it was illegal to sell (in the US) any microphones which operate in the 700 MHz range?

Make sure you check to make sure you know which frequencies are available to you. You legally cannot operate in the 700 MHz and stay away from the 900 MHz. I suggest you use Shure's website to check frequencies. Shure Americas | Wireless Frequency Finder
You might want to go beyond just what are available to look at coordination with the eight existing systems. Low cost wireless systems often have less discriminating front end circuitry and as a result are more limited in how many can operate simultaneously in a given bandwidth and in how many different operating frequencies are available for each device. Going much beyond the eight mics you already have may start to be more challenging with entry level products.

You might want to go beyond just what are available to look at coordination with the eight existing systems. Low cost wireless systems often have less discriminating front end circuitry and as a result are more limited in how many can operate simultaneously in a given bandwidth and in how many different operating frequencies are available for each device. Going much beyond the eight mics you already have may start to be more challenging with entry level products.

You are correct! I started out on low end equipment and learned (quickly) how to coordinate frequencies. Luckily they were pretty sporadic.

If you post the frequencies of your current transmitters we will be able to further assist.

/\ I'm not on site, and won't be for a couple of days, but I'll post them when I get there. Thanks for all of the advice :)

Please also post the models and band splits of the existing systems as well as their frquencies - it may be that by changing frequencies on exisiting systems, it can be made to work but with changing them it wouldn't...

Please also post the models and band splits of the existing systems as well as their frquencies - it may be that by changing frequencies on exisiting systems, it can be made to work but with changing them it wouldn't...

There is a company i have been buying for around that price that i feel are just as good as shure slx series. they are called Mipro. they have a small lavelier you can get for around 80 dollars. i have had good luck with them really. the distributor is out of kansas city so i live here so i can get stuff with in a day so that is nice

I have 2 Audio Technica 700 series mics and I have had very good results with them. They sell for about $250 for a system. There are only 8 frequencies selectable and they share some TV channels but they are really clear sound and go about 150 feet before dropping out. I own 2 receivers plus 2 Handheld and 2 Lapel transmitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back