Conventional Fixtures Blinders and ACL replacements.

Looking to replace the old Mole Fay Blinders and PAR 64 ACLs with an LED option. What is everyone preferring to use? Would like simple but then I also look at some of the moving bar fixtures and think they could be useful.

Thanks in advance.

I have seen these making the rounds the last couple of years. 4 light blinders that the individual light can be pan/tilted.

I would say the "modern" version of the ACL is the Sharpy (and its variants), although infinitely more versatile.
As for nine-light / eight-light, any LED washlight, although none give the "bang-for-the-buck" of the MoleFay. Nor the warmth of the afterglow.

Blinders? Have you seen any major production recently where the "designer" hasn't intentionally focused fixtures into the audiences' eyes?

I finally saw it in a stage drama. It ruined the event. I know because the "designer"'s sharpy was stopped, in my face, for 8 minutes.

Yes "designer", your beams were pretty. Frankly I'd rather have seen the @!$% actors... instead of deeply into my own soul as my irises closed down to nothingness. It is like my coffee: black and sour.

Back to the OP: I don't see anything available to eclipse the 9 or 12 light Fay. They are power hogs, they are heavy, and LEDs hav not been able to adequately duplicate their effect, yet.

For blinders, there's a ton of LED options out there that look great. We use the Chauvet Shocker 2s, which are great. If you want that lovely amber glow at the bottom end, you'll need something with some "dim to warm" tech - the Elation DTW350 and DTW700 are the standard there. They're also IP rated for outdoor shows.

For ACLs, if you don't need them to move, the Ayrton Versapix-RS would be my choice. There are some narrow beam LED PARs that would work, and some that are just warm white if you want that. You could also go with small movers, there are a ton of little movers out there that get very narrow these days. For a club level install, I might look at the ADJ Saber Spot WW or DTW. WW will have more punch, DTW will have that warm glow at the bottom end. They're small though, not for even midsize rooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back