Blog Post I Wrote About Mixing In The Theatre

BNBSound

I didn't come here to advertise my blog, this is humbly submitted for review and commentary and to get discussion started. I started up a pro audio blog to help teach the volunteers at the church where I work. It's taken off a bit so instead of trying to think of topics to write on every day I'm trying to encourage discussion to help get ideas flowing. Also, if you'd like to be a contributor just get in touch. We also do a weekly podcast and frequently have people connect via Skype to join the discussion.

http://smart2noise.blogspot.com/2012/04/mixing-in-theatre.html

I'd love your input. Thanks.

Jon Dayton
Audio & Lighting Director | Wesleyan Church of Hamburg
Founder | Genesee Production Group
Owner | BNB Sound

That's some really good advice. I'm going to print that out and stick it to the wall of the booth for our new student sound techs. The rest of that blog is quite interesting, too.

Maybe I misunderstood some of the comments, but since you asked...

You seem to present addressing feedback only via EQ and don't seem to even mention mic positioning, the relationships of mics and speakers and their patterns, the importance of the distance from mouth or source to the mic on gain before feedback and all the other possibilities that generally should be considered before resorting to equalization. There are times 'under fire' that level and equalization may be the only tool available at that moment, however using EQ o inprove gain before feedback should be more a last ditch effort than the first step. People's first response to feedback being applying more equalization is one of the most common bad practices I encounter and this seems to encourage that.

I disagree with using the house EQ to address feedback from mics. Each microphone can have a different relationship to the speakers, room, user, etc. so you cannot assume that what affects one microphone will affect others, much less in the same way, yet any adjustment to the house EQ will affect every microphone the same along with every other source. Use the house EQ where you want to affect everything, but for feedback use the channel EQ and address the offending mics individually if at all possible (and after first trying to address it in other ways).

You address using high pass filters and rolling off the low end, however you don't seem to identify that this recommendation is specifically for vocals and not recommended for every mic or input. Also note that studies have found that the fundamental frequency of male vocals is typically around 120-125Hz and can be lower so a 160-180Hz high pass, which is probably already being down 3dB at that frequency, may filter out most of the male vocal fundamentals and may be part of the reason that most mixer manufacturers use 60-80Hz for the high pass filters.

The section on area micing seems to contain some errors. For one, most PZM mics are not omni, in fact they by definition can't be omni, only hemispherical, and many are directional, for example the venerable Crown PCC-160 is cardioid (or half-cardioid due to the boundary). Speaking of which, for a PZM to function as a PZM it requires a boundary of a size appropriate for the frequencies involved, if you mount a PZM to a small vertical surface and have it near the floor you can get limited benefits of a PZM and potential negatives such as floor bounce. A simple one but it is the 3:1 rule, not 2:1. Finally, it is often perfectly acceptable and even desirable to include hanging or area mics in the mix, in fact they are often a better approach than some of the options recommended. This is especially true if the 'main mix' is also used to derive signals for balcony fills, ALS feeds, remote audio sends, backstage monitoring, archival recording, etc.

Sorry if this seems overly critical but it is intended to possibly improve the information provided and generate some discussion.

I suggested going to the graphs because in my experience, using a dozen or two dozen of the same model of mic, you tend to see each and every channel strip with the same corrective EQ and nothing left to get artistic with. If not the house then inserting one on the groups, I can tuck that into the post. As for trying to move the mic, sure, that works when you're close micing an instrument, but apart from moving from the top of the head to below the ear or on the collar, there's not a whole lot you can do with a lav mic. It's a roving problem child that might even wind up in front of the mains, which is something else the garden variety theatre mixer won't have any control over. Either keeping the actor out of the path or moving the mains in response. Oh yeah, you totally got me on the 3:1 rule, don't know what I was thinking, wrote it out long form and everything. Also, I wrote that article for 15 year olds so I didn't want to get too far into the nuances of PZMs. Hemispherical and omni may as well be about the same thing to a kid in a high school auditorium. The procedure involving music stands worked out great on the couple of shows the kids tried it on. Other methods haven't worked out so well but every show is different. Thanks for the input man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back