Boom Base add casters

dancerhhj

Hello, everyone~!

I have a quick question, can I add caster on this boom base? What are those 4 holes on the corner? Is that for casters?
Thank you for all of your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.23.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.23.26 AM.png
    93 KB · Views: 274
Hello, everyone~!

I have a quick question, can I add caster on this boom base? What are those 4 holes on the corner? Is that for casters?

I think the intention for the holes is more for leveling feet if needed. Can you put casters on it? Sure you can. The real question is will it be safe. And that's going to depend on what your using it for.

I think the intention for the holes is more for leveling feet if needed. Can you put casters on it? Sure you can. The real question is will it be safe. And that's going to depend on what your using it for.
Thank you for the quick answer. It seems no thread in the holes, I was thinking to add the caster has thread in it. Not sure it will work though.
0E170C81-8DFD-421B-BA8E-BFDF1C3AB97A.jpeg

I will use it for 6’ boom tree and it will have 2 of Source 4 -36 degree, Shin and Mid, possible add 1more for head.
Thank you!

Thank you for the quick answer. It seems no thread in the holes, I was thinking to add the caster has thread in it. Not sure it will work though.
View attachment 20572
I will use it for 6’ boom tree and it will have 2 of Source 4 -36 degree, Shin and Mid, possible add 1more for head.
Thank you!
Are you suggesting your two S4-36's ARE your shins and mids OR are they for other purposes with Shins and Mids to be added?
Check the load ratings of your casters.
DON'T hang all of your sources from the same side:
Consider boom arms with one DS, one US, one OS (on stage). Possibly mount both your Shins and Beaver traps by clamping them directly to the boom without using boom arms to keep their weight close to the boom's center of gravity.
DO add additional weight ( Cast iron stage weights and / or sand bags ) directly on top of your boom bases, both clustered around your vertical boom and also further out directly over each of your casters.

Check your booms for stability and add weight to suit on the appropriate side(s) of your bases.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that those holes are for stage screws. In the UK it seems that instead of boom bases, they use TANK TRAPS.
They do show one unit which is something like a boom base with 4 casters(or castors). The bad thing about tank traps is they take up lots of room, the good thing is they can be more easily deployed and no worries about thread failure. I did like the one with the slot in the base plate and the two fixed caste(o)rs on top of the base plate.

EDIT: Oh, Doughty-usa doesn't show any boom bases OR tank traps.

Is this the Canadian Term for Shin Busters?

If so, that DEFINITELY needs to be added to the Wiki
Think a little higher than shins and a little lower than waists and you'll get the picture.
This was a common term of reference when Canada's National Ballet played our (then only) soft-seater in the early 1970's.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Why are you considering casters; are you touring, moving off stage for storage, or???
Do NOT move your booms while the lamp's filaments are still warm; your lamp life will decrease SIGNIFICANTLY.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I'm with Ron, why are the casters needed? I can foresee a dancer exiting, running into the boom and it tips over or is pushed into waiting cast members with a risk of burns from the lights.

The last road show I worked that had a couple of low booms on wheels, a touring tech maintained 'hands on' the boom for the duration of the number (and it was sandbagged, too). Apparently there had been a mishap previously.

As mentioned leaving the base on casters creates a stability issue. You might be able to do something like they do on Valley ball net uprights where there is a set of wheels above one edge, and you tilt the assembly like a hand truck and roll it away. This way when used it's on the base with a lower center of gravity and can't roll around by it self, but it's easy to move when needed.

I've worked on many shows where sidelights were on casters and let me tell you as a backstage tech, it sucks.
They were conventional boom bases, with sandbags, on furniture dollies.
The reason: unit set pieces needed to move offstage and booms were typically at the front edge of the leg.
They sucked because they would roll. Someone would bump them from downstage, someone would trip on a poorly taped cable because they were re-taped every time they rolled away.
The LD was always pissed because a precisely cut sidelight would project across the stage during some inopportune moment.

I 2nd the volleyball net solution, atleast it'll roll when you want and not when you don't.

Why are you considering casters; are you touring, moving off stage for storage, or???
Do NOT move your booms while the lamp's filaments are still warm; your lamp life will decrease SIGNIFICANTLY.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

It's not something I have ever done myself. But as mentioned above I have seen it done on musical tours. Usually because a light/s are only needed for one or two scenes and if they were fixed in place they would be in the way the rest of the show for set changes. I've also seen a lot of stuff of stuff on wheels for opening acts at concerts. When they only get minutes to setup/teardown their ground rig it has to be on wheels to be able to get clear on time. It's obviously not the first choice anyone wants to make. But sometimes it's the best option. You just have to figure out what it takes to be able to do it safely. Making sure it's not a tipping hazzard, making sure it won't go rolling away on its own, etc.

Hello, everyone~!

Yes, you can. Keep them small, in Diameter and Height. keep your load light, do not use 4' side arms and load them ridiculously. Throw some sand bags on the base. the bags will roll around with the base when the lights are not in use and when in place drape the bags over the sides of the base, half-on/half-off to keep it from moving around and blunt the impact injuries from dancers kicking the base as it is now 2" off the deck.

Oh,install some cap nuts on the ends of the caster bolts. It'll save on ripped sandbags and shredded toes.

I would also say to keep in mind that single casters are usually asymetric. Keep in mind the oritentation of the casters when moving/placing the boom, having the casters face in presents a much smaller (and thus tippier) footprint than spinning the casters to face out. Also consider the location of casters when thinking about this, depending on your needs you may need to drill new holes so that the casters are always inside the profile of the base.

I would also say to keep in mind that single casters are usually asymetric. Keep in mind the oritentation of the casters when moving/placing the boom, having the casters face in presents a much smaller (and thus tippier) footprint than spinning the casters to face out. Also consider the location of casters when thinking about this, depending on your needs you may need to drill new holes so that the casters are always inside the profile of the base.
@dancerhhj You may want to consider "triple swivel" casters if you can afford them.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

So a 6' boom with 2x mid, 2x shin, and possibly another fixture at 6'.
A 6' boom certainly would not require a safety cable from the grid under norms.
Appears you have 1/4" plate steel for the base? (Can you confirm the thickness of this plate?) What is the square size of it, if I remember 10# per square foot in 1/4" steel plate. The handle hold cut out will also decrease weight unless on the useless side of the Leko's on the side of the stage for the boom.

7KeloGrams / fixture at various heights focused in the same direction... (Backstage Handbook & ETC website check) = 15.435# per fixture & cable not much a cable weight matter. 6' pipe wight will all some weight to center of gravity weight or tipping point weight - not to factor in safety margin. 2.72# per foot = 14.832# for the pipe, up to it's tipping point in better or worse.

How many plates do you plan to stack without casters for something safe? In raising the base for what ever caxter desired, the height raised is a factor, but also how movable the boom is. Big question of even if a plywood platform under the boom base, what size sufficient to carry the stability verses the outer diamater needed for stability. Sand bags will certainly help this factor, if stacted on the rear of the boom.

Lots of factors to consider in solving the problem. But no, oveall I think it's going to fall over even before casters, than there is the safety factor of 10:1 in falling over. Solvable.. yes with more base weight in general. Castered- probably once you solve the stability problem.

Than once you get to caster's having to swivel out casters is not an option viable, base dia. in overall perhaps six point casters or something more modern... to get that base of support once you figure out the base support needs.

I believe It’s a 50lbs base made by SSRC. If so based on ANSI 1.15 this system is ok.
50lbs base
16.2lbs pipe
16lbs per fixture.
assembly weight is 98.2 pounds for 2 fixtures, and 114.2 pounds for three.
Per the standard you are able to do individual fixtures up to the point when the total fixture load is not more than 50% of the total assembly weight. In both the 2 and 3 fixture setups your ok. That is of course the base without wheels.

Could you instead fly a squared tormentor figure8 pipe configuration (@RonHebbard whats the real name of this) instead of using the tippy base? Drop the pipe contraption in to trim height before the scene it's needed, tether it to a sandbag or or ground anchor. Fly it back up when no longer needed. If theres large scenery or piles of actors/dancers that need to "share" the floor space.

Could you instead fly a squared tormentor figure8 pipe configuration (@RonHebbard whats the real name of this) instead of using the tippy base? Drop the pipe contraption in to trim height before the scene it's needed, tether it to a sandbag or or ground anchor. Fly it back up when no longer needed. If there's large scenery or piles of actors/dancers that need to "share" the floor space.
Know what you're referring to, they used to be someone's product, Altman or Strand possibly? (Maybe called "ladders"?)
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back