Boundary mics - Bartlett vs AT U851

hemismith

So I've decided to get a couple boundary mics as well as some others. Any recommendations between the Bartlett and AT U851? The Bartlett has the advantage of a permanently attached cable, which seems a pain to store but everyone seems to recommend that. The AT is a little lower profile. I was at a show last year that used the AT and it seemed to do OK. I will probably also get some AT U853 hanging mics, but I assume they are so different that there would be no advantage in sound consistency to keeping within the same brand.

So I've decided to get a couple boundary mics as well as some others. Any recommendations between the Bartlett and AT U851? The Bartlett has the advantage of a permanently attached cable, which seems a pain to store but everyone seems to recommend that. The AT is a little lower profile. I was at a show last year that used the AT and it seemed to do OK. I will probably also get some AT U853 hanging mics, but I assume they are so different that there would be no advantage in sound consistency to keeping within the same brand.

Is there a reason that you aren't considering Crown PCC160s? There is a reason that they are the industry standard.

Is there a reason that you aren't considering Crown PCC160s? There is a reason that they are the industry standard.

The founder of Bartlet (and the inventor of the PCC160) is a CB member, Brubart. If you have any specific questions about his mics, he does personally respond to email and he will probably show up here eventually. I just bought 3 of TM-125C's and they have been great. Just as responsive if not more then the PCC160 and they have a smaller footprint. You save about a hundred bucks. I got the version with the cable permanent attached and have been happy with it. 9 times out of 10 it is the connector that plugs into the mic that causes the mic to stop working, this takes care of that issue. If I never have to solder one of those connectors again I will be a happy man.

Yes, I found out about the Bartletts by searching this forum; it seems they are even better than the Crowns, and the price is attractive. But I can get the AT's even cheaper. Last year I did the lights for a show that was using both Crowns and Audio Technicas; unfortunately I wasn't thinking about buying any then and for the life of me I can't remember which ones I liked better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back