Broadway Lighting Systems

Not working on Broadway, but seeing a lot of it, I think one way it tends to differ from regional theatre is the reliance on the box boom or tormentor position. There tend to be as many lights crammed along the house walls as will fit, and often a pretty modest hang in a traditional FOH position. This is probably partly practical, but also provides face light in a way that still sculpts rather than flattening people out. And as footer said, you have follow spots for faces when needed.

"The Visit," designed by Japhy Weideman, uses zero frontlight and zero followspots, as near as I could tell.

Yes and no.

The typical Broadway theater might be 100 years old and was never equipped with modern and comprehensive catwalks and FOH hang positions as seen in a more modern structure. Typically all you get are a balcony rail or 2 position, plus a ton of box boom positions. Thus the designers are forced to compromise as to numbers of units and angles.

On occasion a theater see's an FOH truss bridge installed that goes a long way in creating better FOH angles, but this is somewhat driven by budget and limitations on the space and whether or not it's a landmarked theater (most are). That can substantially drive up the cost of installing a truss in FOH as the producer needs permission from the city to modify the structure as well as needs to budget restoration. As example, Spiderman was installed at the Lyric (formerly Foxwoods) theater and had it's entire auditorium ceiling removed and stored in a warehouse in NJ, to be returned once Spiderman closed. Expensive undertaking.

I'd love to see those Lighting Dimension magazines. Have they found a home yet or can I provide them with such?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, Sorry but I sent the issues containing the hanging plots and a few others to the original poster of this thread, and the rest have been recycled. You might try to contact the original poster, dancinstar01 (who's email address i no longer have.)

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back