Conventional Fixtures Bulb Type

I'm working more and more with the local school system and now I'm getting into the final auditorium (of 4). Working on replacing bulbs in this middle school, and they have some FLK and BTN lamps. The specs are as follows:

FLK - Wattage-575 Watt Voltage-120 Volt ANSI Code-FLK Base Type-G9.5
Bulb Shape-T6 Color Temperature (Kelvin)-3200K Diameter 0.75 in.
Over all Length (M.O.L)-3.97 in. Filament Type-CC-8 Life Hours (Avg)-300
Lumens (Approx Mean)-16,500

BTN - Wattage-750 Watt Voltage-120 Volt ANSI Code-BTN Base Type-P28s
Bulb Shape-T7 Color Temperature (Kelvin)-3050K Diameter-0.91 in.
Over all Length (M.O.L)-5.0 in. Filament Type-C-13D Life Hours (Avg)-500
Lumens (Approx Mean)-17,000 Possible Substitute-BTP

Huge problem - Life hours in the hundreds. There are others with the same base, similar size, etc. I'm looking at reccomending the following -

FLK replaced with EHD - Wattage-500 Watt Voltage-120 Volt ANSI Code EHD
Base Type-G9.5 Bulb Shape-T5 Color Temperature (Kelvin)-3000K Diameter -0.55 in.
Over all Length (M.O.L)-4.0 in. Filament Type-CC-8 Life Hours (Avg)-2000
Lumens (Approx Mean) 10,000

BTN replaced with EGG - Wattage-750 Watt Voltage-120 Volt ANSI Code-EGG
Base Type-P28s Bulb Shape-T5 Color Temperature (Kelvin)-3000K Diameter-0.63 in.
Over all Length (M.O.L)-6.0 in. Filament Type-CC-8 Life Hours (Avg)-2000 Lumens (Approx Mean)-15,000

Any concerns, just from the specs?

These fixtures are OLD Electro-Controls from Salt Lake City, so I can offer no specs.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Ship is the last word on all this but if I recall he replaces EHD with FLK not the other way around, and usually recommends moving to GLA from FLK

Hopefully he will see this post and provide you the answer you need

Sharyn

EGG will not work as a BTN replacement; you'll find the LCLs are different. Sadly there is no long-life alternative for the BTN.
See also the threads: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/2817-longer-life-btr.html , http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/3273-fresnel-lamp-type-question.html , and http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/8340-new-fresnel-lamp.html .

I'd suggest the GLA as a replacement for the FLK. Slightly less output and lower color temperature, but much longer life. Improved filament geometry.

Last edited:
I concur that GLA is the best bet. They also make an FLK-LL(long life), sometime called HX601. Don't go to the EHD--you will be very unhappy with the light output.

I'm also not aware of a sub for the BTN.

There actually have been a lot of comments about "why can't we get a 2000 hour BTN" so far doesn't seem to be any progress

sharyn

As derekleffew stated, the EGG won't work as a BTN replacement, because the lamp is taller causing the center of the filament to completely miss the center of the reflector, resulting in low light output and a potentially overheated fixture. The EGG is designed for the obsolete radial ellipsoidals with medium prefocus sockets.

I also concur with others that say the EHD is an archaic lamp, and the GLA is much more suitable -- it's about the standard lamp for all non-Source Four ellipsoidals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back