Bushes and hedges and topiary, oh my!

What's your budget like? We buy a lot from Autograph Foliage, but it's not cheap. But building them is pretty easy, it's as simple as building a frame, covering it in chicken wire, and tying enough foliage to it to make it look real. For shrubs and topiaries we attach the foliage to sticks of pvc, coated to look like bark when necessary. I've even attached fake leaf springs to real bare branches a few times.

I know people who have tried to cut enough leaves to fill a full tree, and unless you have an army of interns who can cut out leaves for a week, the tree just never looks full enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it is viewed from a distance, and you need a lot, army surplus camouflage netting can fill a lot of foliage cheaply, especially upstage pieces that have a couple more realistic looking pieces downstage.

What's your budget like? We buy a lot from Autograph Foliage, but it's not cheap. But building them is pretty easy, it's as simple as building a frame, covering it in chicken wire, and tying enough foliage to it to make it look real. For shrubs and topiaries we attach the foliage to sticks of pvc, coated to look like bark when necessary. I've even attached fake leaf springs to real bare branches a few times.

I know people who have tried to cut enough leaves to fill a full tree, and unless you have an army of interns who can cut out leaves for a week, the tree just never looks full enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks gafftape. Budget is essentially zero. Fake foliage is probably not going to be ordered, thought thanks for the resource for a smaller foliage need. I currently use the frame and chicken wire method to make the shape. My next step is to take yardage--old sheets, muslin--and scumble paint in various shades of green. Then a leaf template is made and drawn in many copies on the yardage and all the leaves are cut out. Next, each leaf gets a "stem" of florists' wire hot-glued to it. Finished leaf is hung on the chicken wire of the frame. It is very time intensive. I have maybe 20 high school students (they are not necessarily theatre-oriented) to do that work. Very time intensive.

If it is viewed from a distance, and you need a lot, army surplus camouflage netting can fill a lot of foliage cheaply, especially upstage pieces that have a couple more realistic looking pieces downstage.
Great idea, AudJ. I have used camoflage netting in earlier sets. However, the stage is what we call an intimate theatre. The audience is, at closest, 30 ft from the stage; at farthest, maybe 50 feet.

Do the show in the spring. Buy it at Home Depot or Lowes or similar. Return it for full credit after show. Easy-peasy.

More seriously, congratulations for doing Shakespeare in a high school. Its become too rare.

And I'll toss out a slightly non-responsive suggestion - don't try for naturalistic bushes and topiary. Just use all chicken wire and light it green form the sides. Or maybe a coarser wire fence and light colored plastic shopping bags. You could kill yourself (or students/parents/helpers) trying to make it look real. Just start with an arty sculptural design concept and go with it. Maybe even put gobos in shin kickers across the elements.

Do the show in the spring. Buy it at Home Depot or Lowes or similar. Return it for full credit after show. Easy-peasy.

More seriously, congratulations for doing Shakespeare in a high school. Its become too rare.

And I'll toss out a slightly non-responsive suggestion - don't try for naturalistic bushes and topiary. Just use all chicken wire and light it green form the sides. Or maybe a coarser wire fence and light colored plastic shopping bags. You could kill yourself (or students/parents/helpers) trying to make it look real. Just start with an arty sculptural design concept and go with it. Maybe even put gobos in shin kickers across the elements.

Love the spring production thought, but alas, I have no control over that. Three directors that I have built sets for have done Shakespeare. This current one likes to revise Shakespeare so the language is more accessible. For Much Ado, he even changed who Beatrice marries. Lighting tricks is not an option in my theatre. Very little in the way of gobo-friendly lighting. We have 12 1000W leko's FOH and eight LED units augmented by six 750W fresnels. I'll think about the idea of stylizing the bushes, though.

Can the design concept adapt to handle stylized bushes /shapes rather than realistic foliage?
oops i jest saw (read) the last sentence of your last post.

Check out your local dollar stores, (dang, I'm old, I remember five and dime stores) I used to buy foliage garlands there, one store tucked one end in the ceiling grid, you just yanked down the ones you wanted. Check out local thrift stores, it seems lots of people donate fake arrangements a lot, sometimes they go very cheaply. Try social networking, announce you are accepting donations of fake foliage.

Can the design concept adapt to handle stylized bushes /shapes rather than realistic foliage?
oops i jest saw (read) the last sentence of your last post.
Venuetech, I have been toying with the idea of approaching the director to see if he thinks his adaptation of Much Ado could be placed in a surreal type setting. That choice would lend itself to stylized bushes and shapes. Hmmmm......

45 years ago - but I'd say yes - Midsummer being what it is.

I just know naturalistic is hardest.

I agree. Naturalistic is hardest. Just not quite sure if I get away with anything else. I'll see. That's why I was looking for other ways to build realistic greenery. :)

What a great idea, Nick. Hadn't considered that. That would be very useful for the hedge that needs to be near closer to the upstage part of the set!

When my kids were in elementary school I discovered the school had die-cut tools far larger than most craft supplies. I rashly assume there is an elementary in the district that might be coaxed into providing 100+ leaves of construction paper. Then maybe add some more realistic stuff on top, and downstage.

I'm really piling onto Nicks idea. Layer several techniques to get more complexity.

With just moderate viewing distance, chicken wire with "pomps" (tissue paper squares available at on-line school prom/party supply houses) inserted really looks good for hedges and such. Be sure to glue them in! Use a couple of different shades of green. Takes lighting very well. Example: http://www.paradefloatsuppliesnow.c...-green?pla=1&gclid=COiMobDm_c0CFQyEaQodS5sFAA

False1.jpg
False8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back