Automated Fixtures Buy used Movers?

I was approached about purchasing some used equipment, and I wanted some opinions on whether or not to buy it.

The Equipment: 6 Coemar Ispot 150 and 4 ColoPro HXi

I have an Expression 3 console, and I have it from ETC that the fixtures would work, but that programming it might be kind of a pain. Does anyone have any experience with these instruments?

Do you trust the seller? Is there some kind of return policy or is it an "as is" sale? What kind of pricing are they giving you? Maybe we can tell you if it's reasonable or not.

Coemar is a pretty dependable name, as HES. I don't have any specific knowledge of those Coemar units, but I've used the HXi a few times and they're decent.

I think it's a question of whether you need them, and what kind of deal you're getting on them. If necessary you could always sell your current desk and replace it with one you feel more suitable to the new equipment.

... If necessary you could always sell your current desk and replace it with one you feel more suitable to the new equipment.
Sorry but I liken the idea of replacing an Expression 3 because it won't run iSpots as well as something newer is akin to replacing a 1998 Cadillac because the 2003 headlights you bought won't fit. Admittedly, not the best analogy, but I hope you get my point.

martyclynch, tell us what you're thinking of using the iSpots and ColorPros for. Neither seems congruous with an Expression 3, or particularly suitable for theatre use.

I'll try to answer these questions all at once for you guys:

I don't personally know the seller, but the buyer asking me for advice does. I believe they are close friends. I am sure, however, that this is a strictly "as is" purchase.

The quoted price is $6,600

The instruments are being considered for a proscenium theatre, with a minimum throw of 18'.

You may be right about the Coemars in particular. The brochure from the manufacturer gives the Coemar 150 1 out of 3 stars for use in the theatre.

The coemar unit is strictly made for a club environment. Its made to spin around and throw stuff into the air. It is not meant to be used in a theatre. A 150w lamp in a theatre is a drop in the bucket.

The ColorPro is nothing more then a technobeam without the mirror and a few more wheels. It is a CMY fixture which is nice. The thing is though the MSD 250/2 lamp in that housing gets outpunched by a S4 750w any day of the week. For 6600 you could buy a nice scroller package that would be usuable in every production.

I would not pay more then 300-500 for the Color Pros, especially with the age of the fixture and you are only getting 4. I have no clue how you would use only 4 on a stage since they are fixed focus units. I would not touch the coemar units with a 30' poll with a clown on the end.

for a real theatre, no deal.

For a night club, I would pay no more than a grand for the package, if that.

If you do buy these or other movers, send them directly to a factory authorized service center for the fixture. Such they find perhaps contingiant on the deal if possible like in buying a used car.

You don't know nor most likely the seller would know beyond a good cleaning what would be needed. At very least this would be needed and a factor in the cost if in good shape. Again kind of like a used car... yea nice looking, what's the authorized repair center really say about it?

Even for a club rig?

I agree. I don't think either would be the best resource for a theater. Since none of us know what the intended application is, however, or what resources the OP has already, to dismiss those fixtures (or any fixtures) without some further detail is a mistake.

The instruments are being considered for a proscenium theatre, with a minimum throw of 18'.

Don't get them. The Coemar 150s will get washed out by anything onstage, especially from that distance, and especially with the other fixtures used in any theatre of that size.

The HXi units might be of use, but I wouldn't get 'em - as has been mentioned, you can get a good scroller package for that money, maybe an i-cue or two. Much better to spend the money that way than on gear that is definitely not suited for a theatre.

I would not buy those lights if I were you. I would suggest purchasing accessories to other lighting fixtures. Like others have said, scrollers, icues, gobo rotators are great investments. If you want to step into the "professional" moving light range I would look into VLs or Macs. I know it maybe tempting to buy moving lights but consider the upkeep cost.

Best of luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back