Buying first computer for show control

Thanks for all your time. I'm fairly proficient on pc and utterly ignorant on Mac. So I'm sure there will be more questions in the coming weeks.
If you don't mind, I'll post a shopping list for comment later in the week.

If you really need to be able to run windows, I would look into parallels desktop. It's around $80 for the year. AND they have a free trial!!!:) You can use it at the same time as you are running OSX, just like you would run any other program. I use it all the time for windows only offline editors when I need to make changes. Bootcamp can be a little bit of a hassle because you have to shut down, boot up in wondows, the vce versa to get back to mac. Plus, if you have odd network settings parallels takes network right from OSX, so you don't have to configure in windows. Don't forget (if you decide to do bootcamp or parallels) that you still have to buy a windows license (if you don't already have a disc).

So I'm looking at this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2TS-0008-00036

Adding generic usb kb and mouse. generic monitor (maybe 2 screens?)

Something along this line to output to our projector and be able to upgrade the projector when the time comes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2400548&cm_re=mac_mini-_-12-400-548-_-Product

Add on optical drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=mac_superdrive-_-9SIA1PU0T22524-_-Product

Looking at Qlab, and I can't decide if I should pop for the pro video license or not. Currently the features we use are audio out linked to midi control of the light desk. would like the ability to add projections to the mix without a separate operator. So that would require the Basic Video License AND the Basic Audio License? I find the chart a bit confusing but it may simply be that I've only had three cups of coffee today so far!

If you think you may need the video capabilities in the future and have the budget to get the video license, get it.

It really depends on what exactly you'll be doing. Despite MIDI cues being listed as only available on the basic audio or above licenses, I have found that the free version of QLab 3 will allow you to use MIDI cues without any issues.
The pro bundle only saves you $50 over buying the Pro Audio and Pro Video Licenses separately, so if it were me, I wouldn't pull the trigger on it.
Depending on how you run your projections, even the free version might be enough. For example, if you only ever need to play back pre-generated video files on a single projector, you could get away without buying a video license.

The great thing about QLab is that you can always add the licenses later, so you don't necessarily have to decide right now if you're guessing on your future needs. Figure 53 also gives you the ability to rent licenses for a small fee/day, so if you might occasionally need some of the more advanced video features, you could just rent them. Qlab has a demo mode that will unlock all of the features for a limited time, so you could play around with it once you're set up before you decide to buy anything, too.

Quick Question on the Mac Mini purchase. Have any of you got an opinion whether I should spring for the fusion drive? bearing in mind that i do very limited projections and (so far) only a single sound track for shows at this time.
I'm leaning towards not spending the extra 150 some odd dollars on this option.

We run ours off of a mechanical hard drive, and haven't had any issues with multiple sound files and simple projections being run simultaneously.
Also, you always have the option of upgrading the hard drive to a SSD in the future, should you so desire. Right now you can get a good 500GB SSD for around $150, and those prices should continue to drop with time.

Last I checked the Qlab site, they expressly stated to not use a fusion drive.

I would recommend just using a mechanical hard drive. I have used regular old hard drives and have had no problem. To confirm what Joe said above, the Figure 53 website says something along the lines of its not recommended because data can be shuffled between the two drives during a show and mess stuff up during a show.

Unless something has changed, Apple does not license their operating system on any hardware other than Apple so there's no legal way to put OS X on a Windows machine.
Nothing's changed at Apple, but you could try running Darwin on a PC... yeah, maybe not for mission critical stuff ;-)

So I'm looking at this.

Looking at Qlab, and I can't decide if I should pop for the pro video license or not. Currently the features we use are audio out linked to midi control of the light desk. would like the ability to add projections to the mix without a separate operator. So that would require the Basic Video License AND the Basic Audio License? I find the chart a bit confusing but it may simply be that I've only had three cups of coffee today so far!

If you'll ever want to fade in/out video or static JPEGS. It's a must. If that level of fine design control is not needed or you have the time and software to to tern things like static images into short movies with built in fades then don't worry about it. But just the ability to fade in/out opacity for smooth transitions I find a must even with 95% of time using a single video output.

Well I haven't been back to this for a while. Thought I just touch base and let everybody know that the Mac Mini is installed. USB midi connection is working great! Q lab with basic video is working great! Headphone jack sucks eggs...
Used it for SFX play back this weekend and programming a show on it next week.

Unless something has changed, Apple does not license their operating system on any hardware other than Apple so there's no legal way to put OS X on a Windows machine.
The language in the license says "Apple labeled computer." Some in the OSX86 (hackintosh) community considered their machines "Apple labeled" if they put the decals from the OS X retail box on the case of their machine. But seriously if you want to run OS X in a production environment, get Apple hardware. Hackintosh might be fun for a hobby computer, but not worth the headaches when something goes wrong at the worst time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back