Can you identify these architectural ellipsoidals?

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
As seen in the Denver Airport:
20479571_10209768045378485_4863338617267247639_n.jpg

Ive also seen similar fixtures at the Georgia World Congress Center down in Atlanta.

Holy Crap! Those are OLD ! I remember using them in High School!
and that BP is HUGE!

What are the beige box-like things is what I wonder. Yes, that beam projector is awesome.

Heres the photos from Atlanta. Sorry for the crappy resolution, I took them in 2012. They seem to have a red backplate that reminds me of Strong, but thats just a wild stab in the dark.
334278_3493650500607_1480843351_o.jpg202379_3493649020570_25950478_o.jpg

I was going to say they look like the Strong's that we used in HS. Big old bi-pin mogul base lamps... Carried those things up and down ladders to the Catwalk believe it or not.

Its hard to find any documentation on them as Strong has been passed around a lot lately. I didn't know Strong ever made "normal" ellipsoidal.

Well, they are old, but not REALLY that old, they aren't radials!

The lekos look like 6" 500/750W Kliegs, but I don't remember the cooling perforations or flat back ends on Kliegs. The 18" 2kW beams are neat instruments--great for sunlight at an 80'-100' throw. Loved 'em.

Reactions: Van
Wow! and also about that beam projector and I have never seen that Leko. What's with the box spot also, suspect some type of UV?

But yes, that some form of beam projector is really cool in wondering about it and the Leko's. A lot of interesting lights to study,

Denver international opened in 1995.... what the hell were they doing installing those things in 1995? Surely a 360Q would do... or a Stand/Century... or one of those new fangled source 4 things.

The low bidder got the contract maybe?

The lekos look like 6" 500/750W Kliegs, but I don't remember the cooling perforations or flat back ends on Kliegs. The 18" 2kW beams are neat instruments--great for sunlight at an 80'-100' throw. Loved 'em.

And they ain't LEKO's !.

But agree that they *look* like Kliegls, but I cannot recall that flat back either.

Other clues, they are using a Strand/Century/Altman style c-clamp, not a Kliegl. Others have stated the airport was built in '95, so that rules out Kliegl, UNLESS they were spec'd years earlier. The T handle doesn't look like an Altman diamond shape.

Other that that. I've no idea. A Kliegl copy, but cannot fathom anybody wanting to do that.

Its hard to find any documentation on them as Strong has been passed around a lot lately. I didn't know Strong ever made "normal" ellipsoidal.
Strong never made conventional fixtures, to my knowledge. The "flat back" seems to be neither radial nor axial; I'm wondering if they don't take a double-ended lamp like the Kliegl Bros. 1357 series. About twenty years out of date for a 1995 install.

Whatever these are, they aren't in the Photometrics Handbook. However some Times Square instruments in there are rather similar.

Strong never made conventional fixtures, to my knowledge. The "flat back" seems to be neither radial nor axial; I'm wondering if they don't take a double-ended lamp like the Kliegl Bros. 1357 series. About twenty years out of date for a 1995 install.

You'll have to ask @Van what exactly he was lugging around in high school then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back