ChamSys MagicQ Questions

MarfaLights

Hi James. I just downloaded your software and plan on buying a PC Wing soon. Maybe i'll ask you some questions. Such as, what is the best tutorial resource on the web for Chamsys?

Rob

The above post was originally in the thread "Hello from ChamSys" in the new member board introducing us to JamesH who works for ChamSys.

I split it off and posted it here to make it easier to find for future users.

Hi Rob,

You can find a few different online tutorials and videos for MagicQ software here's a few below,

We have some tutorial video's available on youtube (see link)
The Chamsys download site also has a downloadable quick start guide and full manual
On stage lighting also have a few guides to the MagicQ software online

If there's anything in particular you have any questions on about features of MagicQ let me know.

James

Hey guys, got a question about Chamsys MagicQ. Mostly concerning behaviors of fixture parameters.

So, when I have a fixture selected and I select the Beam options from the keypad, it brings up relevant attributes such as gobo, shutter, prism, etc. One thing I have an issue with is that when I select prism, the visualizer doesn't show any changes. Same with gobo rotation -- it seems to show a static gobo no matter what I try. Is this normal operation?

It will be about a week before I actually connect the fixtures - I'm programming from home for now. I just wasn't sure if it was actually happening but not shown on the viz, or if I was doing something wrong.

Hi Les,
Currently MagicVis does not display prims in our visualiser. This won't affect the actual control of fixtures with Prisms, only being able to see them in our visualiser.
We're working to get this support in upcoming MagicQ releases as we add more features to MagicVis.
Regarding Gobo rotation, this will depend on how the personality is setup. Could you let me know the make/model/mode of the fixture and I'll get this looked at for you.

Reactions: Les
Hi Les,
Currently MagicVis does not display prims in our visualiser. This won't affect the actual control of fixtures with Prisms, only being able to see them in our visualiser.
We're working to get this support in upcoming MagicQ releases as we add more features to MagicVis.
Regarding Gobo rotation, this will depend on how the personality is setup. Could you let me know the make/model/mode of the fixture and I'll get this looked at for you.

That's good to know - thank you! The fixtures I am using are Elation Design Spot 250 Pro's.

While I've got you here, is there a personality for Chroma Q scrollers? I believe I have the second gen (DIP switches, single scroll).

So, is this a good choice for controlling standard incandescent theater fixtures ? I have a 24 portable ETC Sensor dimmer pack for the rehearsal hall and no board. I do have a Enttec USB DMX box and a Mac laptop. This will control those? could I add in LED fixtures if I wanted ?

There is a "Theatre Mode" which should make it easy to run dimmers and LEDs. I have only played with the moving light functionality myself, but I think it would definitely be worth a shot. People say the learning curve is steep, and it can be, but it's not too difficult to get setup and running. There are some good tutorials on YouTube as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back