Control/Dimming Change channel that controls house lights?

OP, if I understand this correctly, if you have a fixture plugged into a stage circuit and you turn off that dimmer's circuit breaker, both that fixture and a houselight will go out. This means a houselight circuit is REPEATED (as in duplicated) over the stage, thus the stage circuit/dimmer number is the SAME as the houselight circuit/dimmer number. Think of the two circuits as being Y'd together at the dimmer module. There is no way to separate them unless you have spare dimmer slots and the dimmer rack is physically rewired. Don't try it.

For the mean time I would red tape the corresponding circuits that's match the house lights til you get someone out to un hard wire the house lights from the dimmers and look in to getting a separate 6 channel dimmer just for the house lights.

There are 112 available channels above the stage, but only 96 of them work. And our circuits come out in tails on a raceway.

Basically each dimmer that controls the house lights also controls a channel on the grid, but we're not able to use those channels because it would also turn the house lights on. So, I want to change which dimmer operates the house lights, while not changing the dimmer that operates those channels on the grid, and without repatching anything. Is that even possible?
It really does sound like you have duplexed circuits. Changing the dimmer will not help this. You would have to get a qualified electrician and change some of the circuit runs. I curious where your other 18 circuits land,you say you have 112 over stage, but only a 96 rack. You could do a hard patch on the pipes but that would require two-fers and cable, and you would have to get away from the 1 to 1 patch you have. This would not be a bad thing.....

The real question is "Where does the wiring for the house lights go?"
I assume from your latest description that you have a 96 dimmer rack, sounds like from there circuits go out to the grid via a raceway?
Do the house lights run through a conduit directly to the dimmer rack as I would assume? Or to a patch panel?
Since you have 112 circuits (not channels) and only 96 circuits are connected to dimmers I'd say you must have some sort of patch panel or bay somewhere?

Basically it sounds like a number of your dimmers are directly feeding both a house light circuit and an on stage circuit (to save on dimmers). 112 circuits is a very strange number...
I'd imagine what you need is an additional number of dimmers and rewire the house lights to these (or wire the doubled circuits to the new dimmers). Might as well add enough dimmers to make all 112 circuits useable!
Very well may of installed the circuits planning on eventually adding dimmers in the future, as some places do to save money but allow for future growth when funds become available. This would also explain the doubling of the circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back