Changing out a speaker

gmff

One of my old house speakers Peavey 112H had a problem, I did some research and found a new speaker to replace the old. I was told that it would just be a matter of taking the old one out, unplugging it and plugging the new one in and remounting it. When I opened it up I found there was some type of crossover component. The photo shows both the new and the old. Can anyone chime in and tell me what the component is and if it needs to be replaced or can I just wire it with a straight wire jumper. Or anything else I might need to know.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 0127150845b.jpg
    0127150845b.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 244
Sorry can't help you our 112H has a completely different board with the crossover mounted to it and a connected to each speaker. The replacement instructions you got told was correct for ours. When is yours from? Ours is a mk1 I believe

Interesting! The wiring in the picture is actually wrong. Was that straight from the factory?
What you have is a couple of piezoelectric drivers. These are used for high frequency and have the advantage of having a natural crossover property. At low frequencies, the impedance goes way-high so they effectively don't conduct. They don't have a voice coil, just a crystal attached to a diaphragm. They don't like voltages above about 25 volts, so there are some limiting resistors in the circuit. If I can see the picture clearly, it looks like the resistors are green-brown-black. That translates to 51 ohms. Usually, the piezo tweeter is in series with the resistor. The layout in the picture shows the drivers to be mounted opposite to each other. That would mean one resistor is wired between + on one unit and + on the other unit. The other would go between - and - and that's why they cross the way they do. The problem I see is that the red wire should go to the + on one unit and the black should go to the - on the other one. That way each would have a resistor in series with it.
What the picture shows is the red and black going to one unit, and the resistors bridging over to the second. This would be wrong as the tweeter with both wires would get full power and the other driver would have both resistors in series with it.

The resistors look good. They are 51 ohms, standard carbon, 1 watt, 5% tolerance (gold band = 5%)

EDIT: A little info on the concept- Piezoelectric tweeters operate at a fraction of a watt but are incredibly efficient. If you try to meter them, they will look bad as they will read as almost an open circuit. When you go to meter them you will hear a faint click. This is normal. At high frequencies they drop to about 100 ohms. At very high frequencies they drop even lower and the resistor protects them.

Here's a real detailed article about their use: http://www.pulsardevelopments.com/products/detail/piezoan.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back