Chauvet MiN Spot.

I don't think so, I forget the exact wording, but I think they worded it as "RGB color mixing with LED's", like thats special. They also have some patent for using DMX control LED's. It pretty much boils down to they patented RGB, and I'm not aware of their grand plan.

Do a search I swear we talked about this a while back.

I just got one of these little beauties but how on earth do you get the 'sound active' mode without a DMX controller? I've only got as far as the factory auto setting and I've checked the manual, but can't seem to see it, thanks.

Well, they have finally turned up in Oz and the list price is $700 AUD ($662 USD). How does that compare with the list over there?

They're going for about 400USD each, but I can get one for 300USD from one company. I think that list is 500USD, maybe? Dunno exactly.

I just got one of these little beauties but how on earth do you get the 'sound active' mode without a DMX controller? I've only got as far as the factory auto setting and I've checked the manual, but can't seem to see it, thanks.

I haven't been able to figure that one out myself. The manual doesn't explain. Looks like you need to hook it up to a sound system. There's a little plug on it that the manual doesn't explain what it's for. My guess is sound activation but I don't know for sure. It may be the self destruct jack too.

I haven't been able to figure that one out myself. The manual doesn't explain. Looks like you need to hook it up to a sound system. There's a little plug on it that the manual doesn't explain what it's for. My guess is sound activation but I don't know for sure. It may be the self destruct jack too.

As avkid says, "Make sure you have the correct audio mode on the control switches. IF audio provided via 1/4" jack, make sure a live audio signal exists. Adjust sound sensitivity knob.'

- Where is the sound sensitivity knob?
I thought there was a built-in mic?

It mentions 'master and slave' for this feature too, frighteningly, that sounds like you need two for it to work.

This is easy, all you need to do is look at page 13 of the manual.

You need to go to menu option "nStS" and when you confirm it, it should change to "SrUn" This is sound active mode in master. I believe is accessed under the "FASt" menu.

No need to plug anything into the fixture, it has a built in mic. had it going in my office a while back.

This is easy, all you need to do is look at page 13 of the manual.
You need to go to menu option "nStS" and when you confirm it, it should change to "SrUn" This is sound active mode in master. I believe is accessed under the "FASt" menu.
No need to plug anything into the fixture, it has a built in mic. had it going in my office a while back.

Thanks, I got that far and if I lightly tap the surface the unit is on it moves, but loud music has no effect.

Thanks, I got that far and if I lightly tap the surface the unit is on it moves, but loud music has no effect.
I have not had any issues with mine, however it is Chauvet, so how knows how their quality control is!

Hi!

I have a question about inverting/ non-inverting tilt/ pan and also setting the tilt / pan on the Min Spot.

Please keep in mind Im fairly new to intelligent lighting.. heh.

So my problem is that I have two of the Min Spots connected to a truss at the back of the stage at the bar I work for BUT they are focusing more on the back of the stage rather then the front where I want them to be. What I would like to accomplish is having them stop tilt at 180 degrees facing straight down hitting the stage then back up 180 degrees hitting the ceiling when in motion. With pan 180 degrees ( stage right and back to left ) without hitting the back of the stage. Am I making sense? Basically I want the lights hitting everywhere BUT behind them. Ive tried changing the pan/ tilt settings without much luck.. or noticing a real change. Have any of you had to deal with a similar set up/ situation? If so can you walk me through what I should be doing to accomplish this?

Also.. inverting/ non-inverting pan/ tilt I didnt see much of a change when I changed those settings.. really stumped here!

Any help would be much appreciated.. thanks for reading!

Denny

How are you controlling the fixtures, or are you controlling them at all? If they are just in audio active mode then you won't be able to limit their motion with the onboard controls. If you are running them with some kind of controller you need to program your sequences so that they only point where you want them to.

As for the inverting of pan and tilt, this feature is really for use with a console. People use it so that if you have multiple fixtures in different orientations (i.e.: some hung and some on the floor, or some at the front of the stage pointing upstage and some upstage pointing downstage) you can have them all move the same direction when controlled from a console.

Hi!

Thanks for the speedy response! Here is a little more information..hopefully you can help...

How are you controlling the fixtures, or are you controlling them at all? If they are just in audio active mode then you won't be able to limit their motion with the onboard controls. If you are running them with some kind of controller you need to program your sequences so that they only point where you want them to.

** I am controlling both using an Elation DMX controller. What I was wondering is with the built in movement macros can you limit the pan/ tilt so the lights only hit parts of the room you want them to? If so what do you suggest I have them set to? Think of a band/ DJ playing on the stage and the lights are above them in the back and you only want them to hit them, the crowd, the stage and some of the side walls.. basically everything except the back wall of the stage. I guess pan would be 180 degrees (stage left to right) and tilt the same (straight up and straight down)? I understand programing scenes then using chase but I guess Im just wondering.. if with the built in movement macros if you can limit their movement?

As for the inverting of pan and tilt, this feature is really for use with a console. People use it so that if you have multiple fixtures in different orientations (i.e.: some hung and some on the floor, or some at the front of the stage pointing upstage and some upstage pointing downstage) you can have them all move the same direction when controlled from a console.

** Gotcha.. so if I am just using them hung upside down at the back of the stage I want to invert the pan/ tilt?

Thanks again.. any help is appreciated!

Hi
So I own 2 of the MinSpots.
Yes they are pretty cool little lights.
I want to ask those of you who have them a question. I am having some control issues. This is the scenario- 2 Minspots controlled via Xpress100 (usb to dmx) with ShowExpress 5.13 software.

So the lights have either a 5 Channel or 13 Channel mode.
In 5 Ch I set up individual scenes for each color and gobo with X/Y set to 0.
I then created some scan (X/Y movement) scenes. From here I can go into the "LIVE" (plays stored scenes or sequences there of) and choose a scan scene and then choose either a color or gobo or both to go with it. Pretty standard. It all works A OK though I had to create individual "Color Strobe" scenes as just a single STROBE scene wouldn't allow me to add color separately. No big deal.
In 13 Ch mode this only works sue do.
I have 6-8 scan scenes and only 1 works like the above does. When any of the other scan scenes are running and I select either a color, gobo or combo of the 2 it overrides the X/Y position and sends it to 0.

So do any of you who own them have the ability to TEST
this?

I'm a complete novice here. Is there any way I can use the Minspot without gobos, just straight beams, and with a bit more orange, turquoise and pinks?

Can I get a cheap controller to do this? Thanks.

I'm a complete novice here. Is there any way I can use the Minspot without gobos, just straight beams, and with a bit more orange, turquoise and pinks?

Can I get a cheap controller to do this? Thanks.

MiN Spot is fully DMX controllable, so any controller will work. You don't have to use the gobos, and it is RGB mixing, so you can mix any color you like.

Well, you can just use the open "spot" position in the gobo wheel. That would give you a "straight beam". To my knowledge you can't change the colors of the MiN Spot but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Edit: icewolf08 beat me to it and corrected me.

Any cheap DMX controller should do just fine with these instruments.

What Icewolf said... he and I both own them.

I've got a little board from AMDJ/chauvet/Elation (can't remember at the moment... is there really a difference?) that I purchased just for my two min-spots. I paid about $150 for it.

What is your application? They are cute but not very bright. I'm using them for teaching basic DMX setup, programing, and color mixing. I can't think of many straight theater applications for them unless you had a LOT of them. They wouldn't be bad for DJ use.

Just a heads up...

Chauvet will be offering the Q-152 LED around the end of May. It will have a 20w white LED, separate gobo and color wheels and the gobos will be changeable and offer rotation.

Chauvet will be offering the Q-152 LED around the end of May. It will have a 20w white LED, separate gobo and color wheels and the gobos will be changeable and offer rotation.

No color mixing but probably a lot more useful than the Min Spot. I think the Min Spot is only about 1 watt total... and I really doubt it's a high quality emitter like a Luxeon K2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back