Cheap Lighting Dimmers

For the 4th of July and around Christmas Time, I want to do a light display. I'm going to use mostly christmas lights for the lights. For the console part I was thinking of using a laptop with an adapter going into it. All thats left are the dimmers. Any suggestions on the dimmers? I'm not so sure about the outputs and inputs, but I can buy some adapters. Also for the dimmers, the price range has to be pretty low, preferably under $100. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more information just ask.

4 channel DMX Dimmer Pack - BulbAmerica.com

Thats about as cheap as you are going to get. They are so cheap they are nearly disposable. Many people around here have bought them. You never know what brand you are going to get. I think they buy them buy the pallet from whoever is the cheapest at the moment.

Thats about as cheap as you are going to get. They are so cheap they are nearly disposable. Many people around here have bought them. You never know what brand you are going to get. I think they buy them buy the pallet from whoever is the cheapest at the moment.

Thanks. Just one more question. If i want to hook up more than one dimmer to the laptop how do i do it? Thank you very much by the way.

nithin1997, depending on what you want to achieve, a system by Light-O-Rama or similar may be more appropriate than theatrical dimmers and control.

Holy cow that's cheap! I might have to pick some of those up for... Home use...

I just need to figure out how to distribute DMX over Wi-Fi now, and I'll be in business. (I've seen guides about it before, but I don't think it can coexist with regular traffic) Flashing lights all over the house...:D

One other footnote on dimmers and Christmas lights- Most dimmers also have a minimum load, below that minimum you may have some erratic operation. Usually about 50 watts, although I have had success running as low as 15 watts. (Optima / Elation) You just have to play around, but expect weirdness with lightweight loads.

EDIT: I have had some success with LED strands and LED rope-lights as long as there is other conventional loading on the channel. Not the usual curve though. Just don't use any that have transformers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back