Checking out a new facility

BTW someone mentioned the wall washers. They are CK intelliwhite graze. The photos yesterday showed them with all three whites at full. Today, the cool white are taken out completely in all presets. were I more technically inclined, I could post a picture now - that I guess only some could see - but it's much warmer now. The place is still swarming in workers, especially the electrical and stage lighting contractors. Can't wait to see an actual preset that was other than all on at full - work and house lights.

Just to chime in, I also can't see them on my work PC or on my cell phone.

That being said,

Bill, I also am sad that you haven't posted photos of the others you did this fall. We have a post for showing off lighting, sets, and booths. Is it time to start a show off your house thread?

Same here in Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari (ios), those of you that can see them, what browser are you using?

Tapatalk, Safari on iOS, Chrome on iOS, Chrome on Mac, Chrome on Mac in Incognito, Safari on Mac, Chrome on Windows 10, and Edge on Windows 10. All in various states of being signed into my Google account, and no pictures. Just no entry symbols.

Now go 5 miles away @MrsFooter and my Alma mater and do a new theatre for their department. Glad to see something happening in the Decatur area. Spent years there watching that place decay.

Glad they are going to get this building going. Really going to be interested to see what happens there with Catpillar crashing and the commodity market in the toilet.

What? You had budget for rope? Walked ten miles to skool ever day thru snow, even in summer, uphill both ways, and used autotransformer boards and radial incan. Lekos.
Hey! Me too! AND I carried a 70 pound sack of coal on each shoulder so I could light the stove and have the room warm before the teacher arrived!
ATCON 2400 (watt) dimmer console (four 600 watt rotary dimmers in a cool blue case) and 150 watt R spots and floods with metal devices that clipped over the lamps to accommodate gel frames... There have been times when I wished I could still find those.

The wood panels are design and are reflectors - directs sound energy into seating. You see very little absorption in most of my projects because the acoustical consultants want to keep tea energy in the room to support the event, not suck it out and then have to rely on all electro acoustics. Its only the sound system fanatics who want to fuzz everything - because they don't know how to design for natural acoustics. Too may dead rooms because of this.

Interesting, I know we've used ceiling and wall shapes for creating natural reflections on a lot of projects, but the rear surfaces are typically absorption, reflection towards the ceiling, or heavy diffusion of some kind. I would think the panels in the photo would cause a noticeable slap echo having some seats hearing voices coming from behind them, but that's not the case here?

Interesting, I know we've used ceiling and wall shapes for creating natural reflections on a lot of projects, but the rear surfaces are typically absorption, reflection towards the ceiling, or heavy diffusion of some kind. I would think the panels in the photo would cause a noticeable slap echo having some seats hearing voices coming from behind them, but that's not the case here?
I don't know - no events yet. They are a part of the acoustical consultants work. They are steep so reflections are steeply downward. I do typically see rear walls through shaping used. It is usually diffusive, and I believe it helps that in my planning, I avoid curved focusing rear walls. The most typical treatment are a series of short radiused sections - like 8' sections bowed 8-10" in plan. Often under balcony are tilted - but varies up or down or both.

Reposted photos.
IMG_20151201_085427.jpg
IMG_20151201_085227.jpg
IMG_20151201_094628.jpg
IMG_20151201_094734.jpg
IMG_20151201_093845.jpg

I don't really know what to call that group of lights that look like flouresent tubes. I imagine it is intended to be artistic - some sort of modern linear light chandiler. However, I don't think it reads well against a white exposed steel ceiling. As others have said, it might look different in person and with the house not as bright. I don't think I'd have any negative reaction to the white exposed steel ceiling if the only house lights were the LED downlight cans.

Bill, thanks for sharing.

Very cool space. I love the white catwalk with the yellow floor. The color pallet of the seats and carpet feels kinda late 70's early 80's though. Again, that may just be the way it looks in pictures under intense lighting.

I don't really know what to call that group of lights that look like flouresent tubes. I imagine it is intended to be artistic - some sort of modern linear light chandiler. However, I don't think it reads well against a white exposed steel ceiling. As others have said, it might look different in person and with the house not as bright. I don't think I'd have any negative reaction to the white exposed steel ceiling if the only house lights were the LED downlight cans.

Bill, thanks for sharing.

In design, I was concerned it would look small and odd. In the space, it looks pretty good. As I was leaving, they had recorded the first house preset, and it seemed pleasant - perhaps nicer from the sides of the orchestra than from the back of balcony. It's art, YMMV. No disagreements to many of the comments on aesthetics - but this was a project that could easily have cost $20m and in fact was delivered for under $7m. There were some casualties. Given the circumstances, I thought the interiors and other designers affecting the aesthetics did a good job. Precast concrete is not a warm and fuzzy material to start with.

Very cool space. I love the white catwalk with the yellow floor. The color pallet of the seats and carpet feels kinda late 70's early 80's though. Again, that may just be the way it looks in pictures under intense lighting.

Architects have been rediscovering how "wonderful" the 1974 color pallets are for a few years now. IMO with seating you should pick colors for longevity, not trendiness. You can repaint walls but knowing most schools those seats will be there for 25-40 years before being refurbished or replaced - a good place to make a more conservative choice.

$7 million for this room? That's pretty impressive to keep the cost that low.

Also, was this a PageSoutherlandPage project by chance? (The randomized fluorescent lighting and seating colors reminds me a bit of their U of Texas Pan America PAC....)

proxy.php

Hey Bill, thanks for reposting the pics. Having worked as an LD in many school theatres, I would be most happy to work, and train students, in that space. I would love to see more of your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back