Choppy MIDI Time Code ETC Ion

Thanks @HansH. So @TheTheaterGeek 's Gio could have had Internal Timecode enabled and his Ion has Internal Timecode disabled and this would account for the differences he's seeing between the two desks?

I see how that would be a possibility. But I have internal disabled on both. I like having the input have all of the control.

Thank you for describing freewheeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, sorry for the detour, however informative. Now, something I don't believe you ever stated: Does this "glitching" cause the Ion to miss cues, or fire cues at the wrong time? Or is it just a peculiar annoyance?

Another random thought: Frame rates are the same on ALL machines, right? 30FPS, NON-Drop? I believe I've heard of (poorly written) software that says 30FPS but actually outputs 29.97FPS.

Okay, sorry for the detour, however informative. Now, something I don't believe you ever stated: Does this "glitching" cause the Ion to miss cues, or fire cues at the wrong time? Or is it just a peculiar annoyance?

Another random thought: Frame rates are the same on ALL machines, right? 30FPS, NON-Drop? I believe I've heard of (poorly written) software that says 30FPS but actually outputs 29.97FPS.
@derekleffew I am fairly certain that it isn't bad software that makes the frame rate 29.97 FPS, but the way it actually works. Some kind of hold over from the analog tape days, probably less of an issue in the digital world but pretty standard IIRC.

@derekleffew it does actually change the way things save. Instead of having 30 frames in a second. It acts like it has only 2 or 3.

So it lowers the accuracy significantly.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure how else to describe it.

And logic has options for any frame rate you could ever need. I run at true 30 fps though I played with these settings to try to fix the problem. No change.

... Some kind of hold over from the analog tape days, probably less of an issue in the digital world but pretty standard IIRC.
From https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=2&section=5&tasks=true :
About Drop Frame and Non-Drop Frame Timecode
With the exception of timecode used with NTSC video, all video formats use non-drop frame timecode, which simply counts at the frame rate of the video itself. For example, PAL video runs at 25 fps, and it uses 25 fps timecode.

When working with NTSC video, you have the option to use drop frame timecode to compensate for the fact that NTSC video has a frame rate of 29.97 fps, while the timecode runs at 30 fps. Timecode can only be represented by whole numbers, so drop frame timecode periodically skips numbers so that the timecode count and the amount of actual time passed stays in sync. This way, the timecode count matches the the number of hours, minutes, and seconds that it takes for your video footage to play. NTSC video can use either drop frame or non-drop frame timecode.

Important: No video frames are dropped when you use drop frame timecode. Only the associated timecode numbers are skipped.

Here is how to determine the type of timecode used in Final Cut Pro:

• Non-drop frame timecode has a colon :)) between the seconds and frames fields, and no numbers are dropped from the counter.

01:16:59:29, 01:17:00:00

• Drop frame timecode has a semicolon (;) between the seconds and frames fields, and two timecode numbers are skipped from the frames counter each minute (except every tenth minute).

01:16:59;29, 01:17:00;02
A clip’s timecode comes directly from its media files. To set sequence timecode, you can use the Drop Frame checkbox in the Timeline Options pane of Sequence Settings. For more information, see Changing Timeline Display Options.
You're right. Another insignificant detour, but it made me remember I'd forgotten about the colon vs. semi-colon thing. I've never used Drop Frame in show control applications.

Just Setup Q Lab and it works!

Id still like to get to the bottom of this though haha!

Just Setup Q Lab and it works!

Id still like to get to the bottom of this though haha!
If QLab is working properly then we can probably narrow down the issue to Logic itself. As I mentioned before, it is kind of a beefy program for simple playback operations. Despite QLab being quite a sophisticated piece of software, it runs pretty slim. Of course, this doesn't explain why it worked for you on the Gio unless the Gio just happens to be more forgiving (odd since it runs the same software, though the hardware may not be the same). Of Course, Logic, being a Apple software may tap into other system resources that QLab doesn't touch, which could be the issue.

How much RAM do you have?

Upgraded to 8.

Upgraded to 8.

So you only have 8GB of RAM? That could be a large part of your issue. 8GB is the minimum required to run OSX these days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back