church is buying a new sound board....need help

Some may argue that having a console with those features, however rudimentary they may be, is a great way to learn how/when to use those features, before spending thousands on outboard gear to support it. (Although that might be more important in an educational setting compared to a church)
Just another one of those issues with advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation.

I like mixing bands on a Presonus just fine. I would not want to do anything on it that requires fast scene changes (presets for specific songs) as using fast scenes does not work well (or works well but is a nuisance).

I've not mixed on the X32 but I've fondled it a bit and I think I'd like it for either use (once I confirm that fast scene changes work OK if I need that).

The GLD is nice, but I recall reading about a problem with scenes (unverified) - it's also a lot more expensive, but that includes digital stage boxes.

Similarly priced is the Roland 480. I've never seen one in the flesh - it seems to have a nice feature set - save for the proprietary communication protocol.

About the same price is the Midas Pro1. Pros (sound) and Cons (some lack of facility).

Priced in-between is the LS9. For the money it's lacking in features, though it could be nicely improved via a firmware upgrade (that I've been hoping for a couple years on now). These days I can't see getting one unless it's a used one for say $5500 - and even then I might go for an X32 (for $5500 one could almost get an X32 and a spare!).

Have you looked at Midas Venice? It is also a great analog mixer, comes with 16, 24 or 32 channels, and has a firewire interface, which will allow you also to connect to a computer without any more cards or special interfaces.
The quality of the mixer is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back