Cleaning Battens

what is the easiest way to clean battons? air pressure? i have 5 battons.....

thanks

B. Donahue
HGM
H. Dean Briggs Performing Arts Center

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Cleaning Battons

For cleaning battens, I'd go with a damp rag and a bucket-o-water. I'd avoid compressed air because that dust is going to resettle somewhere.

Last edited:

When they do messy things on "This Old House", one person makes the sawdust as another holds a hose from the shop vac next to the work. Sucks the dust right up.

If one person sweeps the batten (or electric) as another vacuums the dust, it should keep things clean. This might be quicker than a wet rag.

Ever since Kelso joined "Two and a Half Men", I watch PBS on Monday nights. :)

Usually I recommend the large microfiber cloths found at auto supply stores, or something similar, to wipe down most anything. Unlike regular cloths, the fabrics of which are not designed for "grabbing" dust, microfiber cloths of this type are made with fabrics specifically designed for "grabbing" the dust and holding it until shaken out or washed. Yes, a lot of dust will still get pushed around and thrown into the air, I just find that a whole lot less ends up being so.

First: Battens, traveler tracks and other rigging should be dusted/cleaned at least once a year at the very least. More often as needed.

As for a specific Batten, depends on how the batten is finished/coated/painted. Bare pipe, existing rust, NO WATER! Avoid H20 if possible! Battens are steel, steel rusts, no need to help.

If the pipe has a clear coat or a reasonable paint job, although cleaning agents like simple green et. al. do have water in them, they are not a bad choice as the water and cleaning elements are in solution and dry or evaporate quickly.

95% of the time, a dry or damp rag will work just fine. Generally a shop towel, terry cloth or something with a nap plus a spritz bottle/spray can with cleaner or end dust or furniture wax will do the job. If a pipe is really dirty, not dusted for several years or contaminated by grease or oil or old fog/haze (from the cracked oil era) or similar, then a cleaner designed for oil removal may be needed. If you need a volatile or solvent based cleaner, follow the safety precautions to the letter, don't take any chances.

And just to clarify, the bucket is for wringing out the rag. :)

Maybe I was anal I would use water and bucket then touch up rust spots with rustolem black spray paint. The can says it stops rust. Also for a nice new shine wipe everything down with some armor all.

If there exposed rust spots, light sanding or wire brush first, then clean with a low VOC solvent based cleaner or simply a little paint thinner. THEN, the rust-o-lium. There is also a product called Rust Reformer
Search Rust Converter - Grainger Industrial Supply
that converts embedded rust to an inert oxide and serves as a primer for a finish coat. There are several varieties of this available, spray cans to gallon jugs. We use the product a lot when renovating or repairing rigging systems, or in the case of the Cedar Rapids Theatre, for flood damage abatement. In that instance we replaced the tension blocks and purchase lines entirely. The lower section of the T-bar and locking rail was cleaned and treated and the entire inventory of counterweights, which had been under water for about a month, was scaled an coated with the Rust Reformer. Luckily for them the water depth was just below the rope locks and those survived without a trace of rust, inside or out. One thing we have learned to do is to open up pipe splices, check the splice sleeve and the interior of the pipes for about 10-12 inches in. If there is any evidence of water intrusion from leaking smoke vents or roof problems etc. we check all the splices. If there is no visible evidence of rust on the pipes we check a small random sample to determine if further checking is necessary.

There's one venue I work in a couple times a year that I assure you rags of any type won't work. A shovel would be step one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back