Conventional Fixtures Cleaning Source Fours

Hello! At my high school we have about 130 Source Fours that were all purchased about two years ago, which means they're due for a cleaning. So I have two questions:
1. on ETCs website, it says I need a lint free cloth- would a microfiber cloth work the same?
Also, 2: the website also says to use oil free compressed air- I found some on amazon, but it says it contains "a bitterant to prevent inhalant abuse".. Is this ok or is there special compressed air I need to buy?

I don't want to sound dumb for asking such simple questions, but I REALLY don't want to ruin the new fixtures!

Thanks!

1. I think any cloth should work, a microfiber cloth would be great.
2. Yes, the bitterant is just so people don't try and inhale them to get high. If you are using the air properly, I don't think it would be noticeable at all. I have used regular compressed air out of a air compressor with an air pick, no problems. I can imagine it would be quite pricey to get all canned air to clean the instruments.
The important thing is to properly clean the instruments. Obviously use caution around the lamp, remove the back lamp burner assembly, and blow out the reflector carefully. For the lenses, different degree tubes have different glasses inside of them. For those with more than one pieces of glass, it can be beneficial to take the whole tube apart to get the all the glass elements clean and dust free.

Don't spray the canned air anywhere near your face or hands. That bitterant is serious business and will just about ruin your day if it gets on your lips. Pretty nasty.

For the two-year service call, you probably won't need an entire overhaul. A quick wipe of the lenses and burst of air should do it unless the place is really filthy.

I'd wipe off the reflectors, too. Mainly, the oil free compressed air means not to use the air compressor the vocational students (if those programs still exist) or scene shop crew uses for pneumatic tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back