Color Scrollers

Davey, You are correct and an apology is in order.

As may be apparent in my post, I have issues with on-going improper usage of the term "DMX' as applied to data cable and connectors that are not 5 pin and USITT DMX compliant.

This is something I rant about at my space, when a touring tech says to one of my folks - "Daisy these units with 3 pin "DMX" cable", or the touring company electrician who had us daisy from scroller to scroller with "4 pin DMX cable".

Sigh.

SB

My Hero!

ST

STEVETERRY and SteveB: you're both my heroes.:)

On the other side of the coin, today when I asked "Can I get a replacement for this 10' 5pin XLR cable? (almost cut in half by a swing wing arm)" the crew-chief said "You mean a DMX cable?"

To some, 5pin is called "DMX," 4pin is called "RAM," and 3pin is called "XLR." I find the latter two manufacturer-specific and vague.

So, what would you guys say is the correct terminology for 3, 4, and 5 pin cables for DMX-512 data distribution?

5 Pin DMX Cable
4 Pin Scroller Cable
3 Pin Data Cabe

?

So, what would you guys say is the correct terminology for 3, 4, and 5 pin cables for DMX-512 data distribution?

5 Pin DMX Cable
4 Pin Scroller Cable
3 Pin Data Cabe

?

That's what I call them. I wonder 'bout the 4 pin DMX terminator though. Probably wants to be called a 4 pin Data terminator.

And something that's not clear to me. Is the data that goes from the power supply to the heads actually DMX ?, or do the manufacturers use something proprietary ? (besides power). I ask as in theory on a 4 pin scroller cable, I assume one of the pins is a shield. 2 others should be power positive and negative (If DC, which I assume the power is). I assume then that data plus uses the remaining pin, with data minus sharing the ground with the power pair ?. Or is it power uses the shield as ground/negative, allowing 2 dedicated pins for data ?.

Need to be enlightened.

Steve B.

SB

That's what I call them. I wonder 'bout the 4 pin DMX terminator though. Probably wants to be called a 4 pin Data terminator.

And something that's not clear to me. Is the data that goes from the power supply to the heads actually DMX ?, or do the manufacturers use something proprietary ? (besides power). I ask as in theory on a 4 pin scroller cable, I assume one of the pins is a shield. 2 others should be power positive and negative (If DC, which I assume the power is). I assume then that data plus uses the remaining pin, with data minus sharing the ground with the power pair ?. Or is it power uses the shield as ground/negative, allowing 2 dedicated pins for data ?.

I've assembled a enough scroller cables to take a stab, but not enough to remember the numbers of the pins in which each resides...
Data + and Data - on their own pins, power on another, common neutral/ground. That's the way that I understand it. I could be wrong, though. And I never use 4 pin terminators, I always do a return run to the power supply.

There seems to be some incorrect or rather incomplete information on this thread....

The newer Colorams and CXIs, we call them Coloram IT and CXI IT will work on the same PSUs as the Forerunners, and other peoples gadgets. The older Coloram II and original CXI used a proprietary protocol we called CMX and the voltage was reversed from the way other manufacturers did things. DO NOT PLUG AN OLD RAM OR CXI INTO A NEW PS SERIES PSU. You can plug a new Ram into an old PSU, won't work, but also won't cause any harm to the unit.

The newer stuff uses 24v and DMX on the 4 pin cables. We also use RDM (remote device management), if you haven't heard about RDM you really should check it out. You don't need to be running an RDM system to use the newer Wybron color changers.

As a last word of advice... It is a good idea to terminate Color Changers 4 pin cable.

More confusion. Wybron's "CMX" is/was not the same as the Colortran's Prestige/Patchman "CMX", upon which USITT DMX-512-1986 was based. (I'm sure that won't matter to anyone.)

I've never terminated any product; never knew such a thing as 4pin terminator existed. Wybron products DO NOT need to be returned to the PSU. In fact, there's no male 4pin to plug into. Wybron is also the only manufacturer that requires calculation of "Head-Feet".

The pin-out for Wybron PS power supplies, for use with "the NexeraLX and the Forerunner, as well as all new InfoTrace products: Coloram IT, CXI IT, Eclipse IT, and Eclipse II IT" is as follows:
XLR Pin # Wire Color Function Size
1 White Ground 14 AWG
2 Green Data - 22 AWG
3 Red Data + 22 AWG
4 Black 24VDC 14 AWG

The pin-out for the older RamII power supplies, for use with "the entire family of Coloram II Color Changers, CXI Color Mixers, Eclipse I and II Mechanical Dowsers and Goboram II Gobo Rotators" is:
1 White 24 Volts DC14 AWG
2 Green Data - 22 AWG
3 Red Data + 22 AWG
4 Black Ground 14 AWG

Page 39 of the CXI IT User Manual states: "Signal termination: None required".
I don't mean to contradict you, mdudgeon; just seeking clarification. I think we need an official statement from ReddyKilowatt. He's only posted once, and hasn't responded to my PM, so if you know him, give him a kick.

All other manufacturers' products should have a return to the power supply, to counteract voltage drop as well as provide data termination.
The pin-out for the Apollo SmartColor® is:
The correct wiring between male and female connectors is ‘one to one’.
PIN # Function Minimum Cable size
1 GND (-ve) 14 AWG (2.00mm²)
2 Control data minus (-) 22 AWG (0.35mm²)
3 Control data plus (+) 22 AWG (0.35mm²)
4 24 VDC (+ve) 14 AWG (2.00mm²)
Chassis Cable shield/Drain wire 24 AWG (0.25mm²)

ChromaQ (and I'm guessing Rosco) uses the same pin-out.

More confusion. Wybron's "CMX" is/was not the same as the Colortran's Prestige/Patchman "CMX", upon which USITT DMX-512-1986 was based. (I'm sure that won't matter to anyone.)

I've never terminated any product; never knew such a thing as 4pin terminator existed. Wybron products DO NOT need to be returned to the PSU. In fact, there's no male 4pin to plug into. Wybron is also the only manufacturer that requires calculation of "Head-Feet".

The pin-out for Wybron PS power supplies, for use with "the NexeraLX and the Forerunner, as well as all new InfoTrace products: Coloram IT, CXI IT, Eclipse IT, and Eclipse II IT" is as follows:
1 White Ground 14 AWG
2 Green Data - 22 AWG
3 Red Data + 22 AWG
4 Black 24VDC 14 AWG

The pin-out for the older RamII power supplies, for use with "the entire family of Coloram II Color Changers, CXI Color Mixers, Eclipse I and II Mechanical Dowsers and Goboram II Gobo Rotators" is:
1 White 24 Volts DC14 AWG
2 Green Data - 22 AWG
3 Red Data + 22 AWG
4 Black Ground 14 AWG

Page 39 of the CXI IT User Manual states: "Signal termination: None required".
I don't mean to contradict you, mdudgeon; just seeking clarification. I think we need an official statement from ReddyKilowatt. He's only posted once, and hasn't responded to my PM, so if you know him, give him a kick.

All other manufacturers' products should have a return to the power supply, to counteract voltage drop as well as provide data termination.
The pin-out for the Apollo SmartColor® is:
The correct wiring between male and female connectors is ‘one to one’.
PIN # Function Minimum Cable size
1 GND (-ve) 14 AWG (2.00mm²)
2 Control data minus (-) 22 AWG (0.35mm²)
3 Control data plus (+) 22 AWG (0.35mm²)
4 24 VDC (+ve) 14 AWG (2.00mm²)
Chassis Cable shield/Drain wire 24 AWG (0.25mm²)

ChromaQ (and I'm guessing Rosco) uses the same pin-out.

No need to kick me, I'll be happy to respond:) As far as the information here, to the best of my knowledge (I'm not on trial, right?) this is all correct. I will also point out that the Morpheus ColorFader scrollers use a different pin-out. The data and 24VDC pins are switched.

ReddyKilowatt, the question remains: Do Wybron products using the newer PS model of PSU require the DMX to be terminated via a 120Ω resistor between pins 2&3 on an empty A4M? Or is the answer the same as with the termination of any other DMX signal: "One should, but not everyone does"?

Now I'm just the marketing guy....

Termination is one of those, you should but most people don't things.

99 times out of 100 its been no problem. Its DMX on the four pin xlr lines, so follow best practices whenever you can.

-Miles

ReddyKilowatt, the question remains: Do Wybron products using the newer PS model of PSU require the DMX to be terminated via a 120Ω resistor between pins 2&3 on an empty A4M? Or is the answer the same as with the termination of any other DMX signal: "One should, but not everyone does"?

While the DMX termination (using a 4 pin terminator) is a very real and valid protective move to guard against data reflection down the line, the use of a return cable will do two things:

1) Terminate the signal with a 120 Ohm resistor when a home-run is used with an Apollo and other PSUs.

And

2) 24VDC is sent through both cables, maintaining line voltage for the entire scroller circuit. This minimizes power 'slugs' (not the critter) to the system that may cause a scroller to fall out and recalibrate. (This scenario can be highly noticable and embarassing...)

ColorRangers are also DMX, but with a different pinout. I have some that I feed with 24V (actually 19V) from a power supply and just tie into my standard DMX feed.

Make sure your pinout matches between the power supply and scroller; it's too easy to let the smoke out if they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back