Coloram power supply with Rosco I-cue?

No, the I-cue can not be controlled with a "Ram" power supply. If you have Forerunners or anything Apollo, you can use that power supply to power the I-cue. Ram power supplies do not send the DMX signal down the line where Forrunners do. The I-Cue requires that address is done on the actual unit instead of on the power supply. I also recall that the "Ram" cable is pinned differently, though its been a long time since I have touched anything Ram.

As long as the Coloram power supply can provide 24 V to the I-cue, there should be no problem doing that :)
Sorry, wrong! Big problem doing that. The Coloram uses proprietary data, not DMX, from the power supply to the device.

See this and subsequent posts.

EDIT:
Forgot that Wybron changed the Coloram system significantly (darn them! A change like that should require a product name change!:evil:), but since the OP does not have an "IT" power supply, my answer stands.
...The newer Colorams and CXIs, we call them Coloram IT and CXI IT will work on the same PSUs as the Forerunners, and other peoples gadgets. The older Coloram II and original CXI used a proprietary protocol we called CMX and the voltage was reversed from the way other manufacturers did things. DO NOT PLUG AN OLD RAM OR CXI INTO A NEW PS SERIES PSU. You can plug a new Ram into an old PSU, won't work, but also won't cause any harm to the unit.

The newer stuff uses 24v and DMX on the 4 pin cables. ...

Last edited:
Oops...I retract my previous answer...

Thank you guys for the correction...I'll do my research a little bit more before giving answer

Well . . . yesterday the i-cue mistakenly got plugged into the Coloram anyway. It exploded in an impressive way. Not the whole thing, just the power circuitry. I tell you that is a smell you don't want floating around on your catwalks.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Marv

Well . . . yesterday the i-cue mistakenly got plugged into the Coloram anyway. It exploded in an impressive way. Not the whole thing, just the power circuitry. I tell you that is a smell you don't want floating around on your catwalks.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Marv

Well... thats one way to test it! A bit expensive.... but... there ya go.

It does annoy me that Wybron used the same pinout for the Forerunner style of data and the RAM style of data. When they came out with the Forerunners, I don't know why they did not move to a different connector because the cable is actually pinned differently.

It does annoy me that Wybron used the same pinout for the Forerunner style of data and the RAM style of data. When they came out with the Forerunners, I don't know why they did not move to a different connector because the cable is actually pinned differently.

This drives me to distraction... I had a colleague call me from a gig she was on complaining of scrollers non-functional...

After talking throuhg the problem with her, it turned out the space she was in had a split rig of Ram's and Chroma-Q's... You can guess what happened from there...

Personally, with 4-pin, I flag my Cable and PSU Jacks with coloured spike.
(Chroma-Q uses the Shield on the cable, Color Kinetics does not... And using CK cable with a Q can cause flakey scrollers... Not anywhere near as bad as blowing up an I-Cue, but...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back