The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Control/Dimming Colortran Innovator 48/96 or ETC Express 250

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Drewdesign, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Drewdesign

Drewdesign Member

What is better Colortran Innovator 48/96 or an Express 250?

2. midgetgreen11

midgetgreen11 Active Member

I believe the Innovator is made by Leviton/NSI. But I would say Express 250 anyday based on ETC's customer service ratings and whatnot.

3. Sayen

Sayen Active Member

I have run two new Innovator 600s, and both lock up at random times. I've also noticed other posts around here from individuals saying the same thing. For what it's worth, my Innovator is brand new, and I'll probably buy an ETC ION next year, and shelve the Innovator for a backup board. An unreliable console just doesn't cut it for me.

4. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

Express 250, hands down.

5. Sony

Sony Active Member

Freelance Electrician/Rigger
    I also vote for the Express 250, I've used both the Express 125 and Express 48/96 and never had any major problems. The only difference between the Express boards are the computer boards on the inside, the software is exactly the same on all of the Express boards.

6. waynehoskins

waynehoskins Active Member

Another vote for the Express.

The only reason I'd go the other way is if I needed to run it two-preset, which is increasingly rare these days.

7. Serendipity

Serendipity Active Member Premium Member

I am another vote in favor of the Express.
    Although I will say I have had one problem with an Express 24/48 (the board crashed twice in a show, both times losing all lights onstage). When we sent in the board, the customer service was fantastic, the problem was assessed to be in the firmware, it came back fully functional and spiffed up. :grin:
    I haven't used a 250 (only larger Expresses) but I've had no complaints aside from that one incident.

8. LekoBoy

LekoBoy Active Member

This is misleading. While perhaps not as gargantuan physically as the 72/144, the 250 is the "largest" Express in terms of channel count.

Serendipity and (deleted member) like this.
  9. lieperjp

lieperjp Well-Known Member

Teacher
    I have the Innovator 48/96. It's ok, if that's what you have. (I've used worse.) It's not terrible, but yes, mine seems to lock up when using the keypad extensively. If I had the choice, go with the Express. ETC Customer Support is amazing and will get you through many a tough spot.

Note: I have never used moving lights, but a few people have posted on how the Express(ion) is a bit screwy when programming movers. The Innovator seems to have a strait forward section on movers, at least from reading the manual. But then again, if you're using movers you may want to look into an ION or a Strand instead of the Express.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008