Command line for ETC SmartSoft???

I have been dreaming for the day that ETC would release a version of SmartSoft that allowed simple command line functions (channel @ level, record cues, times, etc.). Peeking into version 3.0 anxiously like a christmas present and noticing that there is still no command line input bar, I have looked into some other possibilities.

Idea 1: The SmartSoft and SmartFade consoles use the ASCII standard show file format. Is there any editor that would easily allow me to edit the SmartSoft ASCII files externally and (I have tried the Expression offline editor with no luck) then open them up in SmartSoft?

Idea 2: Is there any 3rd party tools that anyone has developed or knows of that can somehow manipulate the programs. I know ETC would not support people reverse engineering their software, so for my own sake, I would prefer option 1. But if anyone knows of any thing, please let me know.

Thanks

You won't ever see it. The smartfade is simply a two scene preset console with a few things added on that make it a bit easier to operate and allows you to record looks. If you want a command line based console, the smartfade is not that. It never will be. If you want that, spend the extra 2k and get an Element. They limit each console in terms of control and functionality. They did this all the way back to the express consoles and probably before. An express 24/48 had the exact same internal hardware as an express 250. However, they crippled the console to 96 channels instead of 250 to keep things competitive and to come in at a lower price point. They do the same thing with the smartfades. Sure, it could have a command line, but if you need that, buy a better console. Just like an Element should be able to console 2,000 moving fixtures, you can't because ETC says if you want to control that much, buy an EOS.

Like Strand Genius :)

Thanks Footer,

That confirmed my suspicions.

We were planning on getting an Element, but we were a few dollars short. We ended up splurging it all on S4 lekos, and new cyc fixtures.

Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back