Comparable Fixtures

Can anyone make a reccomendation for units that are comparable to Juliat's?

2kw 714 profiles
2kw 713 SX profiles
614 profiles
613 SX profiles

I'm putting a rental order together and the shop doesn't carry Juliat's, what fixtures would be comparable?

ETC Source Four Zoom 15/30 or 25/50 lamped at 750W. If the shop doesn't carry zooms (likely), you'll have to choose 14°, 19, 26, 36, or 50°.

Derek, I'm putting together a lighting package proposal for a small 80 seat black box that functions as host to a multitude of events, such as auditions, people eating cake, and elaborate productions with 2 story sets. I have been looking at the S4 Zooms 25/50 because of the versatility. I would much rather give designers a chance to choose their beam then lock them into 26 and 36.

I have also looked at the S4 JR Zooms because they're a little cheaper, but can't find any other reason to buy them over the S4.

Have you used either of these? Do they focus to a crisp blue? I have only used Lekolite zooms and it was tough to get them to a sharp focus.

I don't like the juniors. Unless you're in a real tight space where it warrants the small size and weight etc. The full size zooms are a little bulky because of what they are, but not a whole lot more than a regular S4. If you think you'll only want to use the 25/50 range they are great, but I've got a collection of 19's that I love in my space. So you obviously have to look at your space and decide whether or not you'll be sad you can't hit some of the other beam angles. The versatility really is handy so long as your happy with the limitation or willing to fill in with a couple fixed barrel lengths to fill any special desires for something your zoom might not hit.

It's roughly an 10'-12' throw from hang to stage. I think anything smaller than a 26 would be too small, but depending on blocking and desired isolation, having the 50 degree option seems really appealing.

...Have you used either of these? Do they focus to a crisp blue? I have only used Lekolite zooms and it was tough to get them to a sharp focus.
I've never found any zoom profile, from any manufacturer, that can sharp focus a gobo across the entire zoom range. It's a trade-off one has to make for the versatility.

That being said, for a small black box, I like the S4jr Zoom. (Even though I dislike zooms in general. We've had the debate before, http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...l-differences-types-lighting-instruments.html as well as in other threads, like http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/9234-choose-leko-me.html .)

Some disadvantages (sacrifices, in order to achieve the lower price and smaller size) of the Jr. compared to the Standard SourceFour are:
  • No 750W lamp (probably not an issue with such a short throw)
  • Not as efficient (again, probably not an issue)
  • No interchangeable lens tubes (not an issue with zoom units)
  • Non-standard gobo size and accessories
  • No rotating barrel

-----
... Unless you're in a real tight space where it warrants the small size and weight etc. ...
If I'm carrying them up and down ladders all day to rehang a black box, I most definitely prefer the 10 lb. 42550j over the 17 lb. 42550.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back