Completely Confused About College Admissions and Portfolios

Hey there!

I searched the site, but couldn't really find an exact answer for my question . . .

I'm currently a high school sophomore, and in school we've had to do college searches. I know that I want to go into technical theatre - I've always been in love with theatre, especially the behind-the-scenes side, and I can't picture myself doing anything else. I'm especially interested in lighting design, but I'm very confused about what exactly my portfolio should be. I know I won't be applying for a year or two, but I just want to get an idea of what should be in it.

Right now I volunteer at a community theatre. I just started in November, after being fed up with our school's tech program. We have great productions, but our stage manager won't accept any help with anything. I've tried to get my way into 'stage crew' for a year and a half, asking just to have any job and asking multiple people, but nothing comes of it no matter how hard I try. Basically, our stage crew's a joke, and I was getting no experience whatsoever. At the community theatre, I get more experience than I could have ever asked for. I don't get to design the shows, but I get to learn about lighting and do spotlight and other backstage stuff. Plus, at some point might be able to operate the board during a show.

So what am I supposed to put in my portfolio, since I probably won't be designing shows by that point? I have a real passion for lighting, I'm just terribly confused. Also, what would you suggest I take as an elective course if I want to go into this field; a regular art class or a CAD class?

Thanks!

Take the art class. If you can fit it in later, take the drafting class.

Your portfolio to get into college should be a representation of your artistic eye and your work ethic. Contrary to popular belief, no college cares if you know how to work on a Mac250, run the newest ETC console, or how to run a counterweight fly system. They are there to teach you that. However, they can not teach someone to have a good work ethic or how to have an artistic eye.

Take that art class. Do well in it. Put that work in your portfolio. Take the drafting class. Do well in it. Also, put that work in your portfolio. When picking work to put in, pick anything that shows your artistic eye. It does not have to be perfect. My first day of college I was sat down with the rest of the freshman for the college of fine arts. We were all told we were 2nd graders in our chosen field. It was their job to add 14 years of schooling in 4 years. They don't expect you to the be best artist in the world. They are simply assessing potential. If you were the best, you would be working and not be there.

I would also take pictures of projects you have worked on and know what you did for it and why you did what you did. Keep track of any paperwork you use for a show (run sheets, schedules). That will show you are an organized person. Save anything you can that shows you are a hard worker. Right now, get a folder and throw anything in it that you think you could use. In two years you can decide if you are going to actually be able to. However, if you don't save it now you won't have it later.

Take pictures of everything. Digital photos are free. Keep track of who you have worked with so if you need a letter of reference you can easily contact those people.

As far as the thing at you High School... talk to the head of the drama club/dept and talk to them about what you have done. Try to get on that way. You have a King/Queen of the Booth in your midst. Its going to be a sticky situation. You are doing the right thing with the community theatre. Keep doing that. It will give you way more experience then your high school ever could.

I had a similar situation as far as a sub-par theatre at my school, so I did a lot of work at a nearby roadhouse and a community theatre group. That practical, hands on experience is priceless with your community theatre group because it shows that you can work well with others and that you took the initiative to go out and learn more than just what was offered at your high school. That doesn't get overlooked. Programs like diversified students.

Like Footer said, pictures are your friend, of anything you work on for the theatre. Also, at least when I applied to my school, I had a resume to show them. This allows them to see what you have worked on and in what areas (assistant lighting, sound, scenic design, etc), plus other technical skills you can't exactly show, such as different software you might be experienced with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back