Computer Controlled moving heads and USB-DMX converters.

Over the last week I've been messing with some various emulators, and controllers for PC that can map out onto DMX, if you have the USB to DMX converter.
I sent the question to my TD, and he said to send it over to my venue director and okay it with him.
My venue director says it's okay, and fine to go, and to just have my TD order the converter.
Now, being in a position of power here, I would like everyone's opinions on this, that way we can decide what would be the best for our setup.
We run an ETC Express 48/96 (In the future, probably an Ion, but that is not confirmed, nor happening for a while, also why this got approved) and a Strand CD-80 dimmer system with 144 dimmers, and 4 Martin MX-4 units. (The inventory of moving lights is expected to expand over the next few years)

My idea was, that I load up a program such as MagicQ (This is the one that I have been messing around with lately) onto the Macbook we have for crew (Runs QLab, and such programs) and use it through that.
My other idea was to bring in some of my own equipment (It would be labeled, of course) and use it through that. The reason I'm thinking about bringing my own equipment in, is because I have a touchscreen monitor that could work well with a program like that.

So, at this point it is the USB to DMX converter that we're looking into. It'd have to work on both PC and Mac. I'm looking at the Enttec DMX USB pro.
If you've used these, what is your opinion?

Over the last week I've been messing with some various emulators, and controllers for PC that can map out onto DMX, if you have the USB to DMX converter.
I sent the question to my TD, and he said to send it over to my venue director and okay it with him.
My venue director says it's okay, and fine to go, and to just have my TD order the converter.
Now, being in a position of power here, I would like everyone's opinions on this, that way we can decide what would be the best for our setup.
We run an ETC Express 48/96 (In the future, probably an Ion, but that is not confirmed, nor happening for a while, also why this got approved) and a Strand CD-80 dimmer system with 144 dimmers, and 4 Martin MX-4 units. (The inventory of moving lights is expected to expand over the next few years)

My idea was, that I load up a program such as MagicQ (This is the one that I have been messing around with lately) onto the Macbook we have for crew (Runs QLab, and such programs) and use it through that.
My other idea was to bring in some of my own equipment (It would be labeled, of course) and use it through that. The reason I'm thinking about bringing my own equipment in, is because I have a touchscreen monitor that could work well with a program like that.

So, at this point it is the USB to DMX converter that we're looking into. It'd have to work on both PC and Mac. I'm looking at the Enttec DMX USB pro.
If you've used these, what is your opinion?

I had a colleague here at the college who did a internship up at Enttec and he has one of the DMX USB pro's. He talks highly of it often and says they are a good piece of equipment. It really depends on how deep you are wanting to get. I feel that computer's (such as the setup you are explaining) can often become stressful to program and deal with. I would much rather have a real board. We've discussed using the converter to test equipment with before without having to power up one of our boards. Just realizing that getting the same results that you would get out of an ion or other similar board will take longer to achieve. Other than that, I would say go for it

I have had good success with the Enttec USB Pro. Note that if you need more than one universe they now have the USB Pro Mk2.

DMX King seems to work well ( uses same interface / drivers as the Pro). If the power supply on your computer is weak, the DMX King may work better.

It sounds like you decided, but you might still like to take a look at our BlueLite X1-Mini (I manufacture and distribute it) and software. It has a DMX Input that allows you to use your existing console as your control surface, but it provides features and capabilities that rival equipment many times it's price. You can download the software from our Support/Downloads page and experiment with it at your leisure.
E-mail,call, or PM me if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

We have tested and used both the Enttec Pro and the DMX King driven by Cue Player software for many shows at our theater. All three worked just fine during some fairly complex shows.

I've had great success with the Enttec Pro, and even with the OpenDMX cheaper model. I've never actually had the OpenDMX crap out on me, but I've never put it into a particularly intensive show, so I can't speak to that.

MagicQ is great, the only pain in the ass is that it's effectively like using a lighting board with a single finger. It's likely slower in comparison to what you could do on a physical board, but you can get used to it.

One great thing about any PC solution - having a RVI is as simple as Remote Desktop or Teamviewer. RFU from any mobile-what-have-you under the sun - it's great!.

USB - DMX Wise - what about the Chamsys Magic DMX Pro? I think it's the cheapest USB - DMX device out there!

I know recently the software has changed slightly and I can't remember if there's a time limit of 5 hours if you're not using the Magic DMX Pro (or other Chamsys) hardware. I know they do a really cheap dongle which has the 5 hour limit and I can't remember if this 5 hour limit carries across to other USB - DMX interfaces too. That'd be one to double check first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back