Console Goosneck for ETC Express?

soundtech193746

I am not sure why it is unfortunate you have to use an ETC Express console. Many people deal with much less.
Anyway, the Sweetwater lamp won't work because it has a BNC connector, not a 3-pin XLR.
The BHphoto lamp MIGHT work, but unless you can find the wiring pinout, might not as some lamps use pin 1 for other than ground.
To paraphrase your motto: " Knowledge is knowing it takes a 3-pin XLR lamp. Wisdom is not believing all 3-pin XLR lamps use the same wiring convention."
Unless you know what you're doing, I would stick with a Littlite brand lamp as recommended, even though they cost more.
Here are the lamp specs from your Express manual:
ETCexpress.jpg

Right. I loved my expression. Be glad it’s not a 8ch scene setter.

I am not sure why it is unfortunate you have to use an ETC Express console. Many people deal with much less.
Anyway, the Sweetwater lamp won't work because it has a BNC connector, not a 3-pin XLR.
The BHphoto lamp MIGHT work, but unless you can find the wiring pinout, might not as some lamps use pin 1 for other than ground.
To paraphrase your motto: " Knowledge is knowing it takes a 3-pin XLR lamp. Wisdom is not believing all 3-pin XLR lamps use the same wiring convention."
Unless you know what you're doing, I would stick with a Littlite brand lamp as recommended, even though they cost more.
Here are the lamp specs from your Express manual:
View attachment 15730

Thanks for your reply!! I said it's unfortunate since the board has been recklessly operated by high school students. Anyways, we do not get enough funding for Littlite so we are kindof stuck on something on the cheap. The 3 pin XLR one would work right? I'm not sure. It would be nice to get Littlite but theater is not willing to drop 80+ bucks on a gossneck

One word of warning: as your Express board’s outboard power supply ages, it weakens a bit. If you have problems with the board being reluctant to start up, or mysteriously power cycling itself, this is why. When that happened to me, ETC advised me to stop using the gooseneck lamps - problem solved.
So I suggest a better choice would be to use an inexpensive dimmable desk lamp or music stand light.

Don't know where you got that price for the Littlite gooseneck task light but we sell them (depending on the style of straight or right angle connector + standard or Hi-Intensity lamp)
12X - 12" or the 18X - 18" Low Intensity Goooseneck Lamp - Straight 3-Pin XLR Connector for $32.00
12XR-HI - 12" High Intensity Gooseneck Lamp - Right Angle 3-Pin XLR Connector $46.00

As far as the ETC console being "student-ized" (abused) even if your school does not have enough funding to replace the console, ETC has a beyond fantastic service department that is reasonable in cost. Another option is to look and purchase another used console in better shape.
Not knowing how desperate the school budget is (usually "0" or less) you might look for a local business, group or angel to assist in repairing, buying a used or even a new console.

There are funding grants from power companies for upgrading to efficient lighting and power consumption reduction. Fair warning this is usually an involved task but ETC is a company through it dealer network is willing to assist your group.

I am rather new to Control Booth but if you can send me a private message and I would be glad to assist you where I can!

One word of warning: as your Express board’s outboard power supply ages, it weakens a bit. If you have problems with the board being reluctant to start up, or mysteriously power cycling itself, this is why. When that happened to me, ETC advised me to stop using the gooseneck lamps - problem solved.
So I suggest a better choice would be to use an inexpensive dimmable desk lamp or music stand light.

In what you just said about goosneck issues.... would I be able to use somehting like this?
https://littlite.com/products/product/led-na-usb-series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back