Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
From a post on the SML:
I missed the whole continental vs US masking issue. I personally
prefer legs downstage of borders - more vertical and never the errant
horizontal shadow on the leg - but not so favored and of course
requires more fly height usually.

Our space is a 38w x20h proscenium, with black velour'ish legs at +28ft tall. Thus we run borders DS of Legs to avoid seeing the leg pipe at certain trims. Granted they have to be REALLY HIGH trims to see the leg pipes, but folks have asked for that height.

As the LD, I really don't have a preference.

I almost always see borders downstage of legs, for the reasons others have pointed out. In most venues I work in, the sightline seats are quite close to the front of the stage and the proscenium is around 30' high, so the legs would have to be impractically tall for the battens to not be in view. I've always kind of been taught that borders are DS of legs, so I've never really had cause to question it. Of course what's really nice is when the show can afford to have custom draperies made where the border and legs are the same piece. :)

As an LD, I really don't care, although I guess having the border DS of the legs does allow you to put an electric on the next lineset immediately US of the legs, instead of needing to to kill another batten in between.

Regardless of which piece is US, there are going to be two shadow lines somewhere on each set unless you are extremely anal with cuts, have no light leak or flare from any fixtures, run the entire rig at no more than 25% and have an entirely black set made from excellent velour.

Aesthetically, my view is that two legs and a border is part of the entire picture frame we create. Our minds expect that, when we do look up into blacks, we will view them up, hit the border and stop going up. If the line continues beyond we can just keep going up and up. Then again, does it really matter? We're obviously doing something quite wrong if it is the blacks the audience is looking at!

With the legs US it also gives you a bit of breathing room between the border and your next electric. Most houses have a border in front of most electrics... and that extra 6" to 8" can make a considerable difference.

It seems to me if you have an "errant horizontal shadow" on your legs you focused something wrong.

Methinks Grog12 has the right of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back