Control/Dimming Control Issues

I have a weird problem, and I am not sure what could be causing it. first the specs:

2 Chavet dimmer packs (single phase, 12 x 1000 per)
200A Single service (brand new)
ETC IDEA 24/48 control - I know its really old, but we are poor
130ft from control to packs

For some reason when a cue fades out we get a brief flicker before the fade out. It actually does this for every cue, be it a fade out or a cross fade. It seems that when the dimmers (doesn't matter which are active) are at the bottom of their curve it spikes. We just relocated spaces and I was just informed that this was happening there as well.

The packs were serviced by Chauvet (they have local shop here) when they were pulled from the previous location. The power service is brand new, it was installed for us. I am thinking it could actually be the board sending extra signals. I don't even know if ETC would service the IDEA anymore. Any thoughts on what could be causing this issue. Could it be a finicky board, DMX voodoo, the DMX cable (which is new although I have to use a 5 - 3 turnaround on it). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Nate

Is your DMX line terminated? Is your DMX cable still good? It is also possible that since the packs are Chauvet packs, the DMX refresh rate could be too high. You could also be sending too many or too few channels of DMX.

ETC consoles and Chauvet fixtures have been known to not like each other.

I would suggest calling ETC tech support and talking thru the problem and potential solutions (if any).

1 800 688 4116

Can you borrow or hire any other desk for a day and see if that has the same poblem?

it could also be the dimmer stepping that occurs at lower % on the lights, on our new LED units at 20% it starts jumping down in intensity till 0%, so it could be the dimmer sending power in chopped lamp styles which your eyes could pick up as flickering.

Dimming curves and weird stepping is something that is a problem with LED's, but should not be seen in incandescents. Even the Chauvet dimmers should not have problems smoothly dimming incandescents.

ETC will support the console in any way that they can. Sometimes parts are an issue, but they try to keep stockpiles. However, if you end up having to send it in to get fixed, the cost of getting something that is a direct substitution to your existing console probably isn't far off from the cost of repairs. Still, give them a call. It might be a problem that has a quick fix, but it also might just be that it's time to replace some gear.

Dimming curves and weird stepping is something that is a problem with LED's, but should not be seen in incandescents. Even the Chauvet dimmers should not have problems smoothly dimming incandescents.

ETC will support the console in any way that they can. Sometimes parts are an issue, but they try to keep stockpiles. However, if you end up having to send it in to get fixed, the cost of getting something that is a direct substitution to your existing console probably isn't far off from the cost of repairs. Still, give them a call. It might be a problem that has a quick fix, but it also might just be that it's time to replace some gear.

I would have to disagree, we had some 1990's colortran dimmers with colortran ERS ranging from 10* to 40* all of which would step at 20% down. It wasn't very noticeable but they did do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back