Controlling an ETC Sensor+ with only a computer

Altman364

Hello all, I pose a very interesting and difficult question and challenge.
We have an ETC Sensor+ 96 channel dimming system in our auditorium here. It is very nice, works great with no problems. This is primarily controlled by our ETC Express board via plain DMX.
Now we hooked up an old computer that we had lying around and found this program (made by ETC) called Sensor and Connect. This allows us to do a number of things, such as check for rack errors, etc., etc. The one thing I found interesting is the ability to turn on any dimmer (or series of dimmers) to any level.
Now this motivated me, you have to type channels ___ through ___ at ____ level and manual clear the dimmers. I created some small programs to type the numbers for me and turn on and off "presets" via this system. It was cool, but I know there is better. This program is limited to being on a network on an old computer using the Internet Explorer 6 browser.
So here is the question:
Can you control the dimmer system entirely via ethernet using software with a visual interface similar to a light board that acts in the same way? Could this be done from any old (or new) computer?
Now I believe the answer to that is yes, so now I pose two challenges:
1. How?
2. If yes, could this be done via a wireless network as to turn a laptop into a wireless, portable light board?
Some keywords that may or may not help me or anyone else who's up to the challenge: ETCNet3, EDMX.

There are literally dozens of PC lighting programs out there at all levels of price and complexity from free to HogPC and GrandMA, some geared towards movers, some with a conventional focus. All of the major ones have Ethernet control capability and/or you can use a DMX -> Ethernet converter on the PC side (for those programs that use USB to DMX dongles), and the reverse at the rack.

Brief Googling will give you hours of reading and many solutions, many of which could be wireless or even IPad based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back