Sound f/x Creating Surround Sound Sound-Effects With Normal Speakers and a Computer

Altman364

Hey Everyone,

Here's my situation:
Our High School is putting on a production of Little Shop of Horrors and the director wants realistic sound effects.
Now its simple enough to do a lightning strike and thunder effect over just one speaker, but I decided it wasn't good enough for me, I wanted the audience to be IN the sound.
In our auditorium we have 5 speakers, 3 permanently mounted and 2 portable.

I can configure the speakers like such

0 0

0 0

To get a surround sound effect, connecting each speaker to a separate output on my Windows XP desktop computer.
By setting the defaults in the computer settings I can output to any speaker individually, but that's not what I want.
Basically I'm looking for a software program that would play back any sound effect I put in to different levels at each speaker and be able to change the levels automatically as the sound plays, as to create "surround sound" without having to buy any hardware. I guess its like a digital mix board but I don't want to have to tamper with it myself other than play/pause.
I know this is theoretically possible I just can't seem to find a program that will do what I need, any comments/questions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

For one, you can duplex your computer's outputs by using the L and R channels separately. I'm surprised your laptop actually has that many independent outputs. Either way, you're looking for a sound cue system/software. There are probably hundreds of threads on CB with various options, but a couple i can think of for Windows are Show Cue System and Multiplay. Both will support a large number of simultaneous audio channels with the ability to mix an audio file to one or many at different volumes, etc...

Thanks!
I should've elaborated here is my output plan
I have 3 USB RCA interfaces at my disposal. Each has a right and a left output, giving my computer 6 individual outputs.
Now using a sound cue system/software would I be able to then save a specific setting for the audio file?
Also would I be able to have a preset change in the volume levels for a clip?

So here's my example:
I have a thunder sound effect
I want the thunder to start in the rear right speakers
I want to slowly fade out the rear right speakers and fade in the front left speakers
This would create the illusion of the sound moving
Would the software be able to save that specific change in speaker volumes so all I would have to do is click go?

Thanks again!

Thuis would probably work technically, Matrix3: Audio Show Control System, but probably won't work from a budget perspective. :shock:

One consideration may be how much flexibility you really need. Would it always be 'panning' between the same two outputs or do you need to freely route the signal to or between any or all five outputs? Another may be the speakers themselves, are the speakers, amplification and processing the same for every channel or might you have to accommodate differences in output and response between channels? And if you plan to use the same speakers for effects and live sound or program playback then you may need to think about how you are going to mix the effects with the live sound.

One option might be to pre-produce a multichannel audio file that has the five channels and all the panning, level changes, etc. already performed. Then the cue is simply playing that file rather than trying to perform the routing and level adjustments live as part of the cue. If the cues do not need to be revised quickly or 'on the fly' then that may be an option.

Perhaps almost the opposite approach but have you considered something like using mixer aux sends to do what you want? It would mean manual mixing but that would also not limit you to a predefined pattern and you can create as you go. It's old school but for the ghost in a run of Macbeth I remember Richard Thomas putting together a custom controller consisting of an analog joystick controlling the voltage to multiple VCAs, one per effects speaker channel, that all had the audio track split to them. Moving the joystick woudl vary the levels of the VCAs and thus the audio for ech channel. You would then use the joystick to 'fly' the ghost around the audience space and not only was each performance unique but you could adjust the 'flight pattern' to fit situations like a less than full house.

Finally, you may also want to consider that with a sound like thunder there is more than simple level changes to the locational cues and changes in frequency content, reverb, delay, etc. can also contribute to the perceived effect. The low, muted rumble from far away versus the sharper report when closer. It's also counterintuitive to try to create the effect like a storm moving closer by changing the level of the thunder while having the gap between the 'lightning' and 'thunder' remains constant but I've seen people do it. So maybe think beyond just level changes in different speakers (and perhaps another reason for preproducing a multichannel file).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back