Custom static Gobo Wheel

Hello!

I’m working on a project where we are spec’ing a custom static gobo wheel for a client. The client created the artwork for what they’d like etched into the stainless steel wheel and when we sent it to the fabricator we were told that text on a static gobo wheel is nearly impossible.

I’m having trouble wrapping my brain around this. Does anyone have any words of wisdom as to why text in a static gobo wheel would be an issue?

Hello!

I’m working on a project where we are spec’ing a custom static gobo wheel for a client. The client created the artwork for what they’d like etched into the stainless steel wheel and when we sent it to the fabricator we were told that text on a static gobo wheel is nearly impossible.

I’m having trouble wrapping my brain around this. Does anyone have any words of wisdom as to why text in a static gobo wheel would be an issue?
Well, it DOES have to be in a 'Stencil' type font or all the bits in the middle will fall out.

Well, it DOES have to be in a 'Stencil' type font or all the bits in the middle will fall out.
That makes sense, though that wasn’t brought up as the issue. The fabricator stated that as the wheel spins inside the fixture the text wouldn’t be the same every time we called up the gobo.
Which is where I get confused.
You have a round plate with “holes” punched out creating an image/text. Every time you call up those “holes” the plate will spin either CW or CWW. The image would never change unless you physically move the light to a new location or change zoom/focus. And even still the gobo/image hasn’t changed just the projected image will appear skewed.

But just a single gobo right? Sorry calling it a gobo wheel was throwing me off.
When I send a design to a company like stagespot, they reply with a proof that includes the added pieces they need to keep the metal intact. But that's their job. If I need a company's logo, I'm not going to alter the design to preempt the manufacturer.

But just a single gobo right? Sorry calling it a gobo wheel was throwing me off.
When I send a design to a company like stagespot, they reply with a proof that includes the added pieces they need to keep the metal intact. But that's their job. If I need a company's logo, I'm not going to alter the design to preempt the manufacturer.
1580857108040.jpeg

Multiple gobos on the wheel. But instead of breakups like the attached picture there would be text. For example one says “Welcome!”

That makes sense, though that wasn’t brought up as the issue. The fabricator stated that as the wheel spins inside the fixture the text wouldn’t be the same every time we called up the gobo.
Which is where I get confused.
You have a round plate with “holes” punched out creating an image/text. Every time you call up those “holes” the plate will spin either CW or CWW. The image would never change unless you physically move the light to a new location or change zoom/focus. And even still the gobo/image hasn’t changed just the projected image will appear skewed.
Right, you just have to know the orientation of the unit so the text is right side up but again, you have to have "Bridges" <that's the technical term> to hold the middle parts of the fonts in place.

Martin Mac Quantum?
Did you want each position to have different text?
Honestly I've never seen anyone replace a static gobo wheel with anything that isn't made by the manufacturer.
If we're adding a custom gobo, they go in the rotating slots, which is why the vendor makes those super easy to pop in and out, vs the static wheel where you have to take the whole control unit out and also you won't have to worry about what position the head is pointing and have to figure out how to hang the fixture just to line up your fixed gobo.

Last edited:
Mac is correct. For any custom gobo applications it is pretty standard to use the rotating gobo wheel so your image can be orientated correctly. This is crucial when using text or a clients logo. Highly detailed images or fancy text can be better with a glass gobo as well. 16 bit gobo rotation can come in handy as well. I have a client that have in-house Chaucer Rogues where I go in and install custom gobos for special events. The light has 8bit rotation and it’s a little tedious getting the gobo perfect in the slot to get it to be straight projected straight. Usually requires a few trips up and down on a lift.

Last edited:
We've made a variety of gobo as well as animation wheels for moving lights. Started with the HES Cyberlight back about 20 years ago and still make them today. Stainless steel and aluminum are used, depending on the fixture and internal heat-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back