Cyclorama

Adam,

If you can't get a real cyc drywall would be better than nothing, esoecially to get the effects you were talking about. I certainly understand what you are going through! Let me ask you this...How much money to you have in your budget for this "cyc" project?

I'd like to spend nothing out of that three year budget. Normally for large projects like this we find some tech parents that are willing to donate all or some of the materials. Thats how we did that flat storage rack I mentioned. I don't think that cost will excede $350.

And the plus of drywall over cyc is the repairability. A lot of times the stage is left unlocked. Some music classes are tought there, and the golf teams stores there golf clubs there. For me thats just too many people to have anything of value on the stage.

One thing, get the absolutely flattest, matt paint you can, any sheen reduces the look.

Yes, I'll second the flat paint! What size does this need to be again?

If parents have contributed before, could you put together a small fundraiser? How many kids are in your theatre program?? Include the music departments...I bet they would want the stage to look nice for their concerts too!

The community is so flooded by fundraisers. The cheerleaders, footballers, vollyballers, golfers, band, and dance teams. Theatre program is about 30 people. Most are in band. The band is going to Disney world next year so they have like a fund raiser a month for that. One thing that I was considering was putting a "wishlist" insert of sorts in the shows programs listing items that we are looking into and the prices. I would jump up on stage near the end of intermission and talk about how I'm a four year technician, how that this program has allowed me to find my passion, about my plans to study lighting design in college, and how I would like to do it as a career. Talk about how important quality up-to-date equipment is to the proper education of new technicians and that we rely on the community to support our ventures. Blah blah blah. Then mention that if anybody would like to sponsor a particular item or just make a general donation to help up purchase a larger item, you can meet with one of the directors in the back after the show.

That sounds like a great idea Adam. What a great attitude to have! Glad to hear that you found your passion too!! Do you know where you are going to college yet?

I'm currently applying to DePaul University in Chicago. But unless they throw me some sort of finacial aid I'm going to have to do two years of Jr. College first and then trasfer, which is ok. I wish that more schools offered a lighting design major and not just the general technical theatre (and occationally technical theatre and design).

maybe I missed this, but could you possibly paint the cinder block wall flat white or off-white?

if you do drywall, as somebody said it will be expensive but see if you can get some of the materials donated (mention that you will put their name in the program/name something after them)

and on getting money from the school. Does anyone else besides the drama club and music department use the space with the lights on? Like does the school regularly have meetings and assemblies and such things and have the stage lights on? If so, point out to the principal that they are using up your lamps and lights and such and (say this diplomatically) they ought to contribute some money or buy some lamps. If the school itself has no money, then talk to the district supervisor or school board or whatever your next higher-up supervisor is and say that you are not adequately being prepared for college/careers because you don't have basic equipment or lamps.

Painting the cinder blocks white would not worrk. They are a very corse brick so lighting from any direction except for head on would be impossible. The school pays for our lamps and now our replacement fixtures. They will argue though that a cyc is not necessary to use the space, as we have put on many nice productions without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back