Damage/Accident Photos

mightymel

Hello Everyone,

I'm a high school tech theatre teacher and am on the hunt for some stage damage/accident photos. Nothing gory or gross just looking for some photos of accidents that have happened onstage, both set and rigging. I've already googled some image but maybe can find some better ones from technicians who have seen it first hand. I really want to show the kids the kind of damage equipment can cause when operators are not paying attention and that sort of thing. We are currently on the subject of counterweight systems but really any photos would be good teaching aids. Thank you so much in advance.

-Mel

You will actually find very little in theatre rigging. The Blue Man Group run-away was the biggest one that I know of. I know of no deaths that occurred dues to accidents in counterweight rigging in recent memory. There have been a decent number of accidents in outdoor and arena rigging, but that is different can of worms.

The Clancy facebook page does have some but none to my knowledge resulted in serious injury.

As much as we think counterweight rigging in unsafe, in practice we have very few failures/accidents.

I don't have the research to prove it - and doubt anyone has that information either way - but I think most injuries on stages are from falls. Starting with stage edges, orchestra pits, and open traps; continuing to ladders and platforms; and especially performers fflying, climbing, and otherwise at height without suitable protection.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to link to this one.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to link to this one.

Same with this one, even non-motorized, dull things can still be dangerous. And you wouldn't believe how dangerous it is to be around other people.

Oh my goodness, I think I may just die of laughter.

I would suggest typing in a search engine a "theater accident" and getting your results there. A recent search of "the Great White Fire" still brings results.

great white fire - Google Search

I still have photos of some of these on my wall in stagecraft. I post the GWFire as to remind my students of the lemming effect. Don't follow the crowd to the same exit you came in. Know the exits of every venue you walk in.

The Clancy Facebook page does have a few accident pics, but most are just pictorial evidence of gross ignorance of standard rigging practices, peppered with the occasional obsolete practice. Lots of good discussion starting photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I will post a picture of our bent arbor rest tomorrow that happens measure my time. Also, I bring a group of students to a rigging seminar each year. They demonstrate a live runaway, allowing each student to release the lock and experience how quickly and dangerous, they are. (safeties are in place by certified rigger)

Thanks Strad. Glad I was around at the time of that thread. I get really agitated when people refer to a rope lock as a "brake". Reason to be sat in the corner with a dunces cap. 50 pounds is all the load it should be relied upon for.

It seems most run-aways are - as that thread points out - arbor heavy - usually unloading lights form a batten before unloading weights. The double run away - where it's half unloaded and the arbor crashes, looses it weights, and then the half empty pipe comes back in, is especially spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back