Damaging mic wires

Does clipping Lavalier mic wires with hair clips ruin the mic wires? Any kinds of clips I should look into that won't ruin Lavalier mic wires.

What kind of hair clips are we talking here? Bobby pins should be alright. I haven't had any problems with my lavalier mics except for the ends. The actors love to wrap that cable tightly around the pack after use, it doesn't matter how many times I yell...

If I were you, I would keep checking the cable to ensure no damage. If the clip is flattening the cable, find another clip.

Im referring to any kind of hair clips. I want to avoid as much damage as possible.

Know of any cheap hair-clips that I should use?

Bobby pins can work but the best way to place a lav is to run it over the ear to just below the cheekbone and affix it with clear surgical tape at the cheekbone, behind the ear, and back of the neck if necessary, leaving room for the actor to turn their neck in both directions.

Bobby pins can work but the best way to place a lav is to run it over the ear to just below the cheekbone and affix it with clear surgical tape at the cheekbone, behind the ear, and back of the neck if necessary, leaving room for the actor to turn their neck in both directions.
Place mice in the hairline?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it's hard to argue that there is one "best way."

If that is the best way, why do many Broadway shows

Toupee clips are the generally accepted hairclip for use with body mics in the professional world. Many A2s affix the clip to the cable with a thin elastic cord but there are other options too. Definitely not the cheapest option but there is essentially zero risk of mic damage and a high level of holding power in the actors hair if placed properly.

Any techniques, sites, information etc. do you know of that is thoroughly about mic-ing actors, mic placement, mic-ing techniques and so on..?

I tried researching for a long time, but haven't found practically anything.

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_al1532_theater_guide_ea.pdf This guide has some pretty good tips about micing and wireless in general.

also

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it's hard to argue that there is one "best way." - Marshall Pope
I agree with you 100% meant to add "one of the" before best way

also

I've never heard of a toupee clip. If I run mics to the hairline I generally use one of these
proxy.php
I think it counts as a bobby pin but i'm not totally sure. I like taping the mic to the cheek because it gets the mic closer and Ive found they stay put better when taped down than run through the hair.

for reference, here is a link to the tape we use.

Blenderm Tape by 3M

if we do a good job cleaning the skin beforehand, then it sticks to even our sweatiest actors.

Ours is 1 inch wide, and we try to use no more than 1/2 an inch of length on the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back