Decorative Chinese Vase

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a production of "Man who Came to Dinner"...I need to CHEAPLY (as cheap as humanly possible), make a Decorative Chinese Vase...I've looked at real ones (too expensive), ones other theatres have (too fake)....Needing ideas, suggestions/tips, how/what of making one....

You can buy a cheap vase at Kmart. Find a nice pattern and Photoshop it into a pattern that will work in sections on your vase. We made these plastic plates for ABT's Nutcracker. I found a pattern on Google images and distorted it in Photoshop and had them printed up in vinyl and stuck them down to vacuum formed plastic plates we made. You can see the odd proportions if you look closely but not from the audience.
p1013229.jpgplates large 1.jpgplates small1.jpgplatter large.jpg

Wait... you're doing "Man Who Came To Dinner" and your only question is about the Chinese vase?

What about Cockroach city and the Mummy?

Last edited:
Wait... you're doing "Man Who Came To Dinner" and your only question is about the Chinese vase?

What about Cockroach city and the Mummy?

FL is known for their Palmetto Bugs he could prolly catch a thousand with a stick of moldy cheese :)

Funny you should say that... Well this show has been done over the last 40 years by several theatres..their roach cities are all simple, but I'm going to amp it up a bit. I was given a donation of an old plastic fish tank and all the roaches from a previous production and I was given a lot of foam to make it "Roach City", plus we've got the headphones too, so that's a sinch, so nothing some carving, a little glue and some paint won't be able to handle. The mummy is based off a basic human outline (me as the sample, being 6'3" so she's about 6'5" total, made of linoleum wood with wooden planks to hold up the side, a large size for the lid, and the sides are made out of foam hotwired in the curved shape and the lid (for the face and hands and "sculpting" are also hot wired foam glued to the top and will be painted)....I didn't want to have to buy a Chinese vase, but I was having difficulty finding one for cheap, but it can really add to the humor with him dumping his medicine in it and using it as an ashtray...Plus our budget wouldn't allow for actual porcelain...

My cockroach city had a Bumble Ball hidden inside of it. It made a strange combination of thumping sounds and squeeking sounds. I thought it was really fun.

Here's a picture of my Sarcophagus.
DSC04061.JPG

I had to do a lot of unexpected counterweighting on the back to keep it stable while it was rolled on and off and it almost didn't fit through the doorway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back